Insurance question

Hello – has any type one family on here had any experience with Christian care/medishare? I’m curious how their coverage is for diabetic supplies and if they cover the DexCom and/or Omni pod…

Hi Lisa, I’m going to urge you to proceed with extreme caution when shopping for short term health insurance or health sharing ministries. Most of these plans do not cover pre-existing conditions and cap coverage for any other health needs. They also are not considered insurance and therefore are not subject to insurance regulations, so you will lose the ability to appeal to the state if something is denied. I took a look at the Medishare guidelines and they have a 36 month continuous enrollment rule before they will cover a pre-existing condition (like T1D) and will only pay out $100,000 of bills for a preexisting condition. They also will not be getting the insurance discounted rate, so list prices will be going toward that cap. Program Guidelines | Medi-Share
If you are shopping for insurance for your family, healthcare.gov is the only place to get plans that must cover pre-existing conditions. More tax credits than ever are available to families to help afford coverage.
For more help with insurance and T1D, please see our Health Insurance Guide How to Choose The Best Health Insurance Plan for People with Type 1 Diabetes: Key Questions to Ask - JDRF
Good luck!

3 Likes

Hi Lisa @Cnlschmidt!

I have Christian Healthcare Ministries. They do not cover the supplies for diabetes. They are mainly a life preserver for pregnancies and hospital visits. They do have a brother’s keeper add on that paired with the gold plan would have unlimited sharing. I have had blue cross and I can tell you that I paid $500 for my last child compared to my previous children where we had to shell out $5000 per child. We have also had emergency room visits and surgeries. They covered it all. I would ask for their information booklet. They also answer any questions.

I’m re-using this topic, vice starting another, to ask if anyone else with both primary and secondary insurance has experienced their pharmacy constantly resetting which is primary. I have Medicare (primary) and Tricare for Life (secondary) (TFL - retired military). Walg&#*$ continually resets my primary insurance (or their people don’t know how set it up). I needed to get more test strips this week and entered a refill with the local store. They said they’d have to order the 100 strip boxes the script was written for (this despite they had 35/70 strip boxes on the shelf of the same strips). I waited the required 2 days, went in and was told the strips hadn’t come in, I’d have to wait. The clerk/pharmacist checked and a store 3 miles away had the 100 strip box, they called and confirmed availability, told me it would be ready in 30 minutes. On the way, the clerk at the new store said TFL wanted a pre-authorization (note: the other store didn’t run into this!). Having gone thru this before, I advised Medicare was primary TFL was secondary and Medicare would cover it. The lady advised the Walg23840 system reset the primary whenever a script was transferred store-to-store and she’d try re-setting the re-set. While grateful to her, I’m frankly tired of Walg23894’s system (presuming it isn’t a people issue) screwing it up every time I fill a script, whether if one single store or a transfer to another! Anyone else have this issue? If so, can you please file a complaint through Walg2734’s online site? Perhaps if enough of us complain, they’ll finally fix it!