Interesting bit of information i found out this afternoon

i went to my endo appointment today..and for once, i left NOT feeling like shit! yay!

when i was in the car with mom after(she gave me a lift from work) we were talking about it and she mentioned running into the nurse from the clinic who trained me on the pump.

apparently he also isn't "too keen" on the pump and was glad i went back to MDI since i wasn't happy with the pump. apparently he told my mom that he feels the pump is a kind of "fad" at the moment in the D community!

that's the second professional i've come across who wasn't sold on the pump being the holy grail of D care! both he and my endo aren't too impressed with the current pump options. (my endo told me last appointment until the pump can determine how much insulin i need in real time on it's own/acts like a real work pancreas does, he isn't sold on using it if MDI is working).

just thought it was interesting considering all these raves about the pump to have two professionals in my life say they aren't sold on the technology yet!

i'm a pump enthusiast, but not necessarily because of any technological advances in it. i like pretty much because of the convenience of it. i don't have to carry a bunch of stuff around and it's right in my pocket whenever i need insulin. pumps can have all sorts of bells and whistles on it, but (for me) as long as it delivers insulin when i want it to, that's what's most important.

i wouldn't necesarily call pumping a "fad" because that implies it will eventually die out  and not be used again. i could potentially seeing the opposite happening as the technology does improve and get better. what your docs mentioned about pumps are how i currently feel about CGMs. i don't want one until the technology is much more improved.

i also strongly believe pumps are incredibly personalized and very much recognize not everyone can be put on a pump and love it. i don't see it as the holy grail of diabetes care - merely another method available for treating it. i don't like giving myself shots multiple times a day, so a pump is a better option for me. i also like being able to put in the CHO i consumed and have the machine figure out how much insulin to take for me - it's less time i have to think about diabetes. for others, being constantly attached to a little machine, have tubing popping out all over the place, and little red itchy circles all over your stomach are major turn-off for the pump.

i say "to each his own." but i definitely don't view pumping as a fad. maybe more a trend? ;o)

i agree completely that it's individual. i just thought it was weird that from the professional world(aka health articles, etc) pumps are raved about the pump and whatnot, but here i have two people i deal with for my diabetes who don't agree at all.

I agree C. 

Any medical professional who finds fault with a pump a viable tool available to T1Ds for managing their diabetes should be looked at with suspicion regarding their knowledge about options, tool and the appropriate application of each in managing T1D. 

If I heard a medical professional say this, I'd suggest you walk if not run the the nearest exit to find a new endo. Makes me wonder what else they may be thinking or not understand about T1Ds and T1D management.

My son's endo doesn't like the pump for little children and she has legitimate reasons that I don't hold against her. His nurses were the ones encouraging us to give the pump a try. His endo is great though. She understands why we want to try the pump and she has already approved it. At Brandan's last visit she gave me the impression that she now feels it would be a good idea for him. If all goes well he'll get his blue Animas Ping next month.

[quote user="sjwprod"]

I agree C. 

Any medical professional who finds fault with a pump a viable tool available to T1Ds for managing their diabetes should be looked at with suspicion regarding their knowledge about options, tool and the appropriate application of each in managing T1D. 

If I heard a medical professional say this, I'd suggest you walk if not run the the nearest exit to find a new endo. Makes me wonder what else they may be thinking or not understand about T1Ds and T1D management.

[/quote]

it's not that they don't think it's a good tool, but they just don't see a reason at this point to go on the pump if you can manage your diabetes using MDI. Which is true. If you like MDI and you can control your diabetes with shots, why change your routine? I tried the pump, and not only did I hate it, my control was worse on the pump than on shots so we switched me back.

It has nothing to do with them thinking it's not a good tool, just neither of them think the technology is where it should be to switch everyone from MDI if they are having success with their current control method.

as for the "fad" comment, he was refering to the fact that he's seen a huge jump in diabetics who are doing whatever they can to go on the pump, when MDI is working fine for them(like with me) because of the hype around the pump and then realizing either that it works for them, or in my case, doesn't and was a bad decision. kinda of what happened with me. i finally gave into the "trend" of the pump, discovered it isn't for me, and went off of it.

I trust both of them, especially my endo. he, along with the endo who he shares an office with, are the top two endos in my province. i'm honestly lucky to have both of them in my town and both of them an option to me. and i agree with him completely. after being on the pump, i probably won't go back on it and try again until i am getting ready to have children, or the technology improves so that i have to fiddle with it less.

i was simply just pointing out how i thought it was interesting to have two professional who don't think it's the holy grail of diabetic care like i see people pretty much saying on here and what i read in health articles before going on the pump. i think you have misunderstood my original post.

I have been using the pump for over 9 years and i would hate to go back to shots.  It is personal choice, but for me it did help a lot with my control also.  My A1C went from the 9-10 range to 5-6 range.  It is a lot more convinient to carry around than insulin and syringes, and alcohol....and whatever else you need.  I also think that while it is possible to forget your pump, it is a lot easier to forget to bring all the other stuff with you.  Or if you decide to eat more or stay out longer than planned, your insulin can't stop you, you just bolus more, it is always ready (exept when you have a low resivoir..lol)  But for me, it works better so I think it was a great choice.

I just started the cgm about 5 months ago, and that is good for me too.  Allthough it is a lot more unfomfortable to wear.  But, i used to test my sugar 20-25 times a day to keep my under control (that is the only thing that would work for me) so now 5-6 times a day is soooo much easier. 

wow. guys. i'm not saying the pump isn't a good thing or that you shouldn't be on it if it works for you.

you guys are totally misunderstanding me. like...extremely.

ps i've put in a request to gina to delete this thread cuz you guys are pretty far off target as to what i was saying..and i can see this turning into a fight (you vs me), while i try to get you to realize what i was saying(which wasn't anything against the pump actually or your choices to be on the pump). so i would suggest just not replying from this point on since it will hopefully be deleted soon.

cheers.

Hey Batts!  No worries here...  I totally understand what you were saying in your original post.  I personally have been on a pump for about a year and a half and have seen & felt the improvements to my health.  HOWEVER, I completely understand that it is a totally personal choice!  If you have professionals who are backing you up on your thoughts about pumping vs MDI, so be it!  I would rather see people supporting you in your decisions...  This horrible disease is hard enough to deal with on its own, never mind if you don't have people around to support you.  I am very happy for you! ? 

Ok, lingo lesson....

WTH is "MDI"???

1 Like

MDI = multiple daily injections.  :)

I have been on both sides of the equation - went on a pump a year after diagnosis (when there were only Minimed and Disetronic on the market, Animas was just about to debut).  I wore it for five years, and in college, i made the decision to take a pump vacation. 

To be honest, when i went back to MDI, i really thought i would never go on a pump again - and for four years MDI was the best plan for me.

NOW, my life has changed a little, and i have just recently gone back to insulin pump therapy.  And i think right now this is the best plan for me.

It's entirely possible that i just get bored with my treatment plan every few years. 

BATTS - you dont need to delete your post.  I think everyone would agree that pumps are just a different treatment option from MDI.  Neither is a cure, and pumps certainly come with their own frustrations.  if you were unhappy on the pump, you did the right thing by switching back. 

Regards.

the whole point wasn't to state, discuss or argue as to whether the pump was a good decision for me, for others, etc. it was just me going "oh hey, i thought every professional was so keen on the pump, this took me off guard and surprised me since they aren't!"

Maybe I spend too much time on Facebook, but after reading Sarah's post, I really wish there was a "Like" button on here!

I guess after we all got on our soapboxes, the original meaning of your post was a little lost in translation.

You're right that it is interesting/peculiar though.  I mean, i know a handful of T1D who are not in love with the pump, but i've yet to meet a doctor who actually prefers MDI. 

Also, thank you Nads :)

Ha... I've had that thought many times as well, Nads!

I agree completely !!  I have been on the pump for 7 years.  My control is about the same as it was with Lantus and Humolog boluses @ meals,  but the convenience is great!  Especially with children.   My endo stated to me that it is not for everyone and many people think that  it  acts like a pancreas.  It does not.  You still have to monitor your blood sugar often...count carbs...and still have highs and lows,  but I think with the pump it is more convenient and easily corrected. Generally,  I can eat when I  want to...not because I have to, which is the best thing!!  Also if your  blood sugarl is low .you can suspend the pump for  a while...and don't always need to eat!! 

The down side is...walking out of the house without it...which I have done a few times and can be more devastating than forgetting your insulin and needles on a given day if you've already taken your long lasting insulin that morning.  Ketoacidosis can come on much quicker !!!

Everyone has to way the pros and cons of both and be prepared for obstacles!!!

Good points. It comes down to deciding how well the tools and regimen work for you. The tools and regimen that works best for your T1D lifestyle, management techniques and understanding of D. 

As many have pointed out, to rule out any tool, technology, technique or knowledge that can improve the life and management of your T1D for a life time. 

Everyone is different and changes are good if it means better management and quality of life, no medical professional should be an obstacle, with lack of knowledge or personal preference. 

Batts,

For the record, I am completely on your side with this one, although I realize the original intention of your post was just to note the opinions of your endos, and not to invoke a debate.  I am constantly frustrated by the attitude of the T1 community regarding pumping.  I felt looked down upon multiple times for disagreeing that the pump is not the "MOST AWESOME THING EVER!!!!!".  I don't go around telling people about how much MDI is like "OMG TOTALLY THE BEST AND THEY SHOULD DO IT TOO!!!!", because I find that disrespectful.  Therefore I do not understand why so many pumpers out there are so eager to convince MDI-ers of the pump's greatness.  It is almost as if people who don't like the pump are considered "bad" diabetics because they aren't choosing "the most effective treatment."  There are MANY, MANY cons to insulin pump therapy, and MDI can be just as effective, or even more so, for many people who have what it takes to make it work.

I guess I should also note that I am currently on a pump, even though I despise them so much.  After I was first diagnosed, I went on a pump within the first year, and used it for about 3 years before going back to shots for another 3 years.  I recently changed back to the pump last September.  Although I was able to maintain good A1Cs with MDI, my control is better with the pump.  This and this only is the reason I have not switched back.  Unfortunately, this means I have decided to sacrifice my psychological well-being in favor of my physical health because I believe I have an obligation to my loved ones to stay alive and complication-free for as long as possible (and I want to have kids in the future as well).

Just know you are not alone in your frustration- and thanks for sharing the bit about your doctors- this is refreshing news for me.