Interrupted sleep

My mom wakes up every night to check my blood sugar around 2 or 3 am. It wakes me up and most of the time my blood sugar is fine and nothing really has to be done. I've gone really low twice in the middle of the night and both of those times I have woken up, it hasn't been her who has checked me and found me so low. I've lost hours of sleep because of her cautiousness but of course she would rather be "safe" and have me loose an hour of sleep than have me not wake up in the case of a low. Has anybody else dealt with this?! As a teenager, I need as much sleep as I can get and with the intense amount of homework I have, I generally don't get to bed till 11 or so. School starts at 7:30. So at the most, if my mom wasn't waking me up I would get 7 hours of sleep or so.  I hate to be deprived of sleep because of diabetes.....Any similar situations?

Not really, because my parents only ever test my blood at 3am if we're trying to adjust my levemir dose. Maybe you could tell her that you she doesn't need to do the tests and that they are unnecessary. :P

Usually my sleep deprivation is self-inflicted due to my unfortunate ability to find such amazing novels that I have to read them until 2am, or else putting off homework until the last second and have to stay up late to finish it. XD

Not really, because my parents only ever test my blood at 3am if we're trying to adjust my levemir dose. Maybe you could tell her that you she doesn't need to do the tests and that they are unnecessary. :P

Usually my sleep deprivation is self-inflicted due to my unfortunate ability to find such amazing novels that I have to read them until 2am, or else putting off homework until the last second and have to stay up late to finish it. XD

My parents never test my sugars then. Just tell her you will be fine. The only time you should really check then is if you go to bed with a sugar under 100.. So jus remind her you have to take some of this on your own..

I know exactly what you mean.  My mom or dad checks me every one to two hours during the night which always wakes me up.  I would guess I usually get about 5 hours of sleep which really makes getting up to go to school a challenge.  I have good days and bad days and some days I think I'm just going through the motions because of how tired I am.  I definitely know how you feel especially since you mentioned homework.  I'm in all IB honors classes so I have alot of responsibility and having diabetes doesn't make it any easier.  Do you have good teachers that understand the situation?

I used to sleep through the night for awhile until my numbers started to drop randomly here and there and it started worrying me. I have the problem where I don't wake up if I am low so it worries me even more, which is why I usually like to get up and check. I think when my numbers start to be more consistant that I won't wake up as much becuase it really does ruin my sleep and like you I don't want to lose too much sleep because of Diabetes.

all i could suggest is for you to talk to your ENDO about it. if he or she thinks it is necessary than i guess your gonna have to live with it. my mom did that and i had a conversation with my doctor and she said it was unnecesssary. if you are running low at night maybe your dinner ratio needs to be changed, or have a banana before bed. buti would definitely talk to your doctor about it. you know your parents dont have to be in the room with you at all times. ask to talk to them alone for a couple minutes. or write a note and give it to them secretivelyyy. just a suggestion hopefully thing will get better. GET SOME SLEEEEP.!

I know exactly what you mean. I take honors classes and do sports, so I usually go to bed late as it is and get up early because my bus ride is 30 minutes long and I have to make my lunch - sleep is so important to me. My mom wakes me up at night too, but we only do that once a week (on Saturdays, usually) or if I go to bed w/ a blood sugar below 100, that way I don't usually lose sleep during the school week. Maybe you could try to compromise and check in the early morning once a week :)

I would say eat a snack and check before bed. Be above 140 so your mom can be reassured a bit more by the fact your blood sugar might not drop so fast if it's a little higher. I've gone to bed with sugars below 100 and wake up in the 140's, so mine goes up when I sleep. I just think testing and eating something before you sleep might be a good reassurance for both of you.

I haven't had my mom check my sugar every night but I have lost sleep. I wrote about it in my blog about my life with type 1. Check it out

www.iamjuvenated.blogspot.com

my mom was the same exact way, religiously she got up every night and checked me at 2am. it makes me feel comfortable that she odes too.  but it never wakes me up when she does, before i got on the pump she could give me shots in my sleep and i would never know it. i also wake up from lows, and they keep me up for a while before my blood sugar goes back up, it's one of the most annoying things besides being waken up by an insulin pump alarm haha. all i have to say is i hope you get use to it and it gets to where it doesn't wake you up at all! best of luck :)

I know exactly how almost all of you feel! I have to be woken up at 1 or 2 to see if I go low, its sooo annoying!!! I know my mom is only doing it so I dont go low but still!!! I wake up from lows too, I once ran into a wall in the middle of the night I was so low! Thats why my mom checks me in the middle of the night. I hope you feel better!

I think you should talk to your parents aout it . Just say if im lower going to bed than test me please if im in target than don't I need sleep and you wont learn how to recognize lows and highs in your sleep if your parents are constantly testing you . After talking to my parents about it I now can sense my lows and highs in my sleep and can wake up myself something i would never do before because they were doing it for me . You need some independence and some well derserved sleep!

My dad used to check me during the night when I was younger but now that I'm staying up later they don't usually. BUT, if I go to bed with a score that is under 100 or if it's been less than 3 hrs from my last bolus/dose of insulin for food  then I'll get up and test during the night. Believe me I don't want to but, I'd rather be safe than sorry, even if I do wake up if I go low.