Intro

Hi, all my name is Kaiya. I have had T1D for 5 going on 6 years. I do use the Dexcom G6 and I eat low carb. Being a teen girl and dealing with this auto-immune disease have been challenging.

3 Likes

Welcome @T1DUnicorn we call this the club “no one wants to be in”. You’re in good company.

Yea definitely the club I don’t want to be in.

@joe yea but we have a great community of people and supporters which I am so thankful for :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@T1DUnicorn Sending hugs your way! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@Juggernautical thank you! sending your hugs your way too

Just know that you’re not alone! Feel free to vent whenever you need, it can be helpful to vent to people who get it.

Think about it this way. We all have a condition that is TOTALLY managable with the thing our bodies decided to destroy. No mystery, no pills with side effects, no guessing how to make it go away. Hopefully you can get to using an insulin pump. I got my 30 years ago and it was like night and day. So sure we have to pay attention to things, but again this is a simple disease. We just need insulin. Many around us are dying from things because the “fix” is hard. Ours is easy.

Larry, I guess your right. I didn’t get mine until I was 11 and I guess what was saying is that before I had T1D, in my elementary days I could eat whatever I wanted and suddenly that all changed cuz now I do Keto

Ah I flirted with Keto and I know it makes it much easier to count carbs but my Endo asked me what I WANTED to eat and I told her. She said you should eat that.

Hi! I was diagnosed as a teen and I’m still unraveling all the messages I heard around food, diabetes and my own body image. (I’m 40 now!) Intuitive Eating has really helped me (there are books, counselors and nutritionists familiar with this practice) rather than diets. I too eat what I want with a lot more grace for myself. When I was first diagnosed it felt like no matter what I ate it was “bad” or affected my blood sugar and it felt like failure. I was just supposed to eat this much at this time and it wrecked any sense of hunger, satisfaction or enjoyment of food. So much of what I was taught early on was fear based as motivation which was detrimental to me and caring for myself. I would highly recommend intuitive eating and a professional familiar with it. I’ve told myself many things to get by over the years and if I’m honest diabetes just sucks BUT We can have diabetes and life can still be good. :heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

My advice - for what it’s worth - is to eat healthy in order to be healthy, because it’s good for your body, and makes you feel good. Don’t cater your diet to your diabetes, cater your diabetes to your diet. Figure it out. If there’s something you want to eat, and you generally eat healthy (whole foods most of the time), but it makes your blood sugar go haywire, eat that thing some more, learn and get better. For me, restricting my diet for diabetes is too much of a downer. I eat well cuz I want to anyway, but hey, if I want that particular dessert once in a while (or any other “high carb” thing that is actually healthy - fruit, beans, etc., which I eat a lot of), I do it, and do my best, and learn from the experience. Anyway that’s just me - you have to figure out what’s best for you, of course. Kudos for dealing with this at such a young age - I’m sure it’s really hard (I was diagnosed at age 33!). So keep it up, you’re doing great!!

808IUFan, Ambryan, and BKN480 Thank you <3