iPro?

Has anyone used an iPro CGM?

http://www.minimedrx.com/professionals/cgms/

I went to my endo today to talk about getting a CGM to find a pattern in my levels and hopefully gain better control than I have now. My only option in Canada right now is the Minimed Guardian, but what I'm really only looking for a pattern..not warnings for lows, etc.

My endo told me about the new Minimed iPro, which stays on for 3days at a time, but can be used intermittently unlike the Guardian CGM and doesn't give you real-time result. Instead you wear it, then download the information and view the reports to find a pattern. Then you change your insulin, and a while later do another three days to see how it's doing between your fingerpokes.

From the info I've found though, it sounds like it's someone a doctor's office buys, not an individual person? but my endo described it as something I would buy similar to the way I would buy a CGM.

Does anyone have any information on it that I've missed? I'm also wondering if it's available in Canada...I'm assuming my endo would've only told me if it was...

I used it before I went on the pump. Hated it. I thought it was very painful and cumbersome. I wore it for 5 days.

5 days? this one you only wear for 3days, and it's no different really than the pump except that the guardian and the iPro are wireless CGMs, whereas all except the omni pod are tubed pumps. the sensor is the same size as the guardian sensor, but since it doesn't give you real-time results, there's no computer to keep clipped to your belt like with the guardian and no alerts, etc.

I've used the iPro through my endo's office.

The iPro is strictly used by doctor's offices like you said.  You can't buy one for yourself.  Just think of the iPro as a one-time use CGM you rent through your Dr's office to get some perspective to adjust basals and long-acting insulin.

It looks just like the CGM sensor that come with the Paradigm pumps, but without the live reading.  You wear it for the period of time, take it back to your doctor, they download the info and then print it out in fancy graphs with the software they have.

I wore mine for 7 days.  I'm pretty sure it's Minimed-approved for longer than 3 days.

You also have to keep a log of sugars/diet/activity while you're on it so they can calibrate it when they download the info.

The info was useful, but it was annoying having no idea if it was working while wearing it.

I had this for 3-7 day increments for 2 weeks last year and for a month this year and I loved it! Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover it so I can't get one, but it brought my a1c from 9.8 to 6.6. I think it is great to experiment with! Sorry I don't have actual information , but I didnt have any complaints with it. :)

[quote user="Ideen"]

I've used the iPro through my endo's office.

The iPro is strictly used by doctor's offices like you said.  You can't buy one for yourself.  Just think of the iPro as a one-time use CGM you rent through your Dr's office to get some perspective to adjust basals and long-acting insulin.

[/quote]

Actually, you CAN buy one for yourself. There's now two..the original iPro that is used by doctor's offices and now one called iPro 2 (or something along those lines) that my endo mentioned that is bought by the patient. I called Minimed yesterday, but had a client come in so I had to hang up before I got a local sales rep's name or the basic info...but when I called and asked because most of what I had seen was that it was for doctor's offices only(though I found a few posts by people who actually bought them) the woman at Minimed Canada said there was two: one for doctors and one for consumers.

I have to call back this afternoon cuz there offices were closed when I got off work to find out more..but I'll post whatever info they give me on it.

[quote user="Ideen"]

It looks just like the CGM sensor that come with the Paradigm pumps, but without the live reading.  You wear it for the period of time, take it back to your doctor, they download the info and then print it out in fancy graphs with the software they have.

I wore mine for 7 days.  I'm pretty sure it's Minimed-approved for longer than 3 days.

You also have to keep a log of sugars/diet/activity while you're on it so they can calibrate it when they download the info.

The info was useful, but it was annoying having no idea if it was working while wearing it.

[/quote]

So far it sounds pretty much what I'm wanting. Online their site says 3days, but like regular CGMs I'm sure it can be pushed longer. 3days of keeping a sugars/diet/activity log sounds fine..I try to do that most of the time cuz I have a OneTouch UltraSmart that has those options, but rarely do it on a regular basis.

I don't think I'll really mind not knowing, as I don't know now. My endo thinks the Guardian might drive me nuts with all the alerts, since I don't require it because I can't tell when I'm low, etc..but if the iPro isn't available in Canada I'll have to go with the Guardian anyways. I really just need the info, not the real-time results. I test enough, usually, and I feel my highs and lows and test when I don't feel "right" so real-time results would be pretty useless to me.

[quote user="Abigail"]

I had this for 3-7 day increments for 2 weeks last year and for a month this year and I loved it! Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover it so I can't get one, but it brought my a1c from 9.8 to 6.6. I think it is great to experiment with! Sorry I don't have actual information , but I didnt have any complaints with it. :)

[/quote]

that's good to hear! :) thanks for giving me some info on your experience! i'm working to get my a1c's down from the low 8's so i'm hoping if I get access to this, it will do just that. it worked for you which gives me some hope it might work for me!