Is anyone on the Dexcom G7?

If so, what do you think so far? Is it more accurate? What do you like/dislike? Of course the release date was only a couple of weeks ago but I am curious.
Those of us on Omnipod5 or Tandem CIQ have to wait a while for approval with our devices but it’s never too soon to start getting feedback.

I ordered it I’ll post something when I have information. The MARD is better but I am willing to bet the first day accuracy is still a bit suboptimal.

Agreed. The 30 min warm up time probably doesn’t contribute to accuracy in the first 24 hours.

I asked my endocrinologist and she said that it’ll probably be July (give or take) before the G7 is available on the US market and fully cleared to work with my Tandem t:slim x2 pump.

1 Like

Dorie, it is way more than “being approved” by some party for use. Approval cannot even begin before / until Tandem and Insulet begin writing and completing the necessary software.
As you must have read in the leter you received, Tandem did not receive authorization to begin working on the project until the FDA approved the G7 for general use.

I’m a newly diagnosed diabetic and the hospital installed the Libre 3 on me. I used it for 14 days and started the G7 1.5 days ago. Found the Libre 3 to be between 40-45% inaccurate on the low readings - they were always way below a finger prick test. Once the Libre 3 alarms went off saying i was at 59 BG and the blood test read 126 BG. The G7 has been far more accurate on the lows from two tests I ran even during the first 24 hours. G7 app allows you to add your blood test readings to the app for calibrating and/or notes. I haven’t had a low since the first 24hrs after using sensor so haven’t been able to test accuracy after any recalibration.

2 Likes

Thank you @Dennis . I was speaking very generally about the reason they are not integrating right off the bat. Thank you as always for your deeper dive.
Here’s some info I found from Tandem about anticipated timing:
Tandem has previously communicated that our goal is to launch our integrated offerings within one to two quarters (3-6 months) of Dexcom G7 receiving FDA clearance. We will provide updates on t:slim X2 pump and sensor integration.

I have not seen an anticipated timeframe from Omnipod.

@gmershon welcome to the forum!
Glad to hear you’re liking the G7! Keep us updated :slight_smile:

Update on my experience with G7 sensor after 10days of use. Find the highs to be very accurate and low accuracy between 80%-100% (after a couple calibrations). Previous Libre 3 sensor was accurate on highs but lows was between 40%-70% accurate.

Also found large differences between capabilities of phone app. The Dexcom G7 app offers more inputs and different BG graph views. When phone is turned horizontal the inputs are placed on bottom of graphs and you can select them to see what happed when, which is helpful for the “why” questions on BG highs and lows. The Dexcom Clarity app provides longer than 24 hour timeframe graph views along with goal inputs and results against those goals. I find these tools very helpful in managing BG levels, especially as I’m new to T1D.

2 Likes

@gmershon, I strongly suggest that you avoid “over calibration” of the G7. You probably missed this advice when you read the Dexcom material - this has been stressed for both the G7 and the G6.

And, keep in mind that statistically [compare MARD rating] speaking. that a continuous monitor must be considerably more accurate that the standards accepted for BG Meters.

@gmershon thanks for sharing your findings. To @Dennis 's point - why we you calibrating? With the G6 you do need to calibrate periodically if you did not use the code when you started your sensor. Does the same apply to the G7?
As a new diabetic and new Dexcom user it is perfectly understandable that you want to compare Dexcom’s accuracy to fingersticks. G6 readings are considered accurate as long as they are within +/- 20% of a fingerstick (the 20 rule) and these are the guidelines if someone is considering calibrating it. Check your guidelines for the G7 to make sure you are not calibrating unnecessarily. Keep in mind that if you are dropping or rising quickly that can account for the percentage difference, and the % may be closer once you have leveled off.
Watch your Dexcom G6 readings over several hours to help determine the best course of action for you. If your Dexcom G6 readings are always higher (or always lower) than your meter values and always outside the 20 rule, consider calibrating. Also consider calibrating if your Dexcom G6 and meter numbers don’t match and your expectations or symptoms fit the meter value, but not the Dexcom G6 reading.

Since you are newly diagnosed I highly recommend you check out the book Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. He has diabetes and works in the field so has a unique personal perspective that is particularly helpful.

2 Likes