Japan, dreams, advice needed!

@TeenageCyborg I’m not exactly sure where in Japan but I just know I want to travel there and see everything I can I don’t have a pump or dexcom I use pens :slight_smile: but I am trying to switch soon and my thing is I’d like to stay there for a few weeks maybe even a month and if I really like it I would love to live there :slight_smile:

@Daiz thank you :slight_smile: I need to realize I’m not alone and I can handle everything that comes my way ! Thank you :slight_smile:

@DDrumminMan thank you !! I’ve never been outside of America but I’ve always loved japan and wished to go there I have really bad anxiety so I will most definitely pack and be prepared, I really appreciate the kind words And help thank you :slight_smile: !

@szewee thank you !! I hope you guys are doing well I appreciate the help and kind words my other goal is to get other diabetics to travel with me :slight_smile: as you said yes the food can sometimes be high so I do worry about that but I really appreciate the fact that you told me about y’all travels and I will definitely give you a day or so for the information ! Please take you’re time it is no rush I hope to be speaking to you guys soon :slight_smile: once again thank you and have a great day !

Travelling to Japan with Type 1 is may even be easier without a CGM or pump - some are not available or understood in Japan. Although it can be hard to get the exact brand of supplies as you may be used to from back home (the United States?), you can certainly get any diabetes supplies you really need at a pharmacy.

There will be English speaking endocrinologists in big cities like Tokyo. If that is not an option, you can attempt to do telemedicine with your current endocrinologist, or you can hire a translator (preferably one with diabetes).

In addition to the basic Japanese phrases that everyone living in Japan should know, you would be well-off to look up some involving diabetes.

Are you familiar with Japanese culture and foods? Do you travel a lot? I have more to share, but I’m not sure what advice you need.

@TeenageCyborg Hello again :slight_smile: sorry for the late response but honestly advice with anything invoking travel, food, language anything really and no I don’t travel a lot this would be my first trip ever with diabetes if everything works out :slight_smile:

• The Japanese find eating while walking rather rude, so be aware of that while treating lows. You can look up other things about Japanese culture online.
  • You should keep on your person a doctor’s note in both English and Japanese explaining that you have diabetes. It may come in handy it multiple situations, especially going through airport security. Japanese airport security is far more relaxed than the TSA - they will let anyone take water through and they will let all of your medical supplies through if you explain or show them your letter.
  • It is good to research how many carbs are in Japanese meals that you may find yourself eating frequently ahead of time, because restaurants won’t have carb counts available and packaging can be hard to understand. You may find yourself eating more carbs than before, because many foods have rice or noodles (or sauces with hidden carbs).
  • As always when travelling, pack far more supplies than you need. If you do not currently own a Frio for your insulin, I suggest you acquire one.