Just got accepted to Medical school... kinda nervous

I just got accepted to Medical school... and well... I guess I am nervous I mean I will go from being pre-med working and in and out of hospital all the time to med school... plus working... plus interning at the hospital... plus all the health issues... Im worried I guess that med school will be too much and as we all know it can be hard to manage diabetes away from home... maybe I am over thinking it because my last A1c was 7.2 so I was ecstatic but now Im worried that I will mess things up. 

Congrat on getting into medical school.

Congratulations!  It's good to have you and other type 1s in the medical field.  You will be a good resource for the other students in your program to see that people can live well with diabetes.   

Do you use an insulin pump?  I think it would be very helpful to deal with the long hours and weird schedules.  During crazy times in my life I've also learned to test a lot, always have glucose tablets with me, and treat a low when I feel the first symptom before it gets out of control.  Also try to eat well and get sleep when you can.  Probably easier said than done.  =)

You're going to do great.

Congratulations Amanda!!  Please take a moment to feel wonderful about yourself and what you've already accomplished with this nasty disease biting at your heels.  

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Julianne Allen.  I am an Advocate for The American Diabetes Association.  I have been a diabetic since I was 8 years old, at last count, I have 42 years of experience with the disease. 

I also would recommend to you that you get yourself on an insulin pump if you aren't already.  This magnificent device gives us the freedom to take the "strictness" out of our lives.  We no longer poke ourselves 6 times a day with insulin injections, we don't have to go by the same schedule everyday- we can even skip meals if we have to without the horrible low blood sugar results from taking an injection and not eating. 

Find yourself a good Endocrinologist and  give yourself one of the greatest advantages available to us presently!!

Again, my sincere congratulations, and I'm very happy to know there will be a Diabetic Doctor out there who REALLY understands Diabetes!!  Possibly thinking about being an Endocrinologist??  You have my vote!! 

Congratulations, Amanda!  I'm sure it'll take a little playing around with your basals, etc. to get everything running smoothly, but I'm also sure you will figure everything out and become an awesome doctor!  

I agree with everyone about the pump and checking a lot.  Also, don't forget to bolus, even when you have a zillion things on your mind.  One of the hardest things I've found about being busy and having diabetes is that it's so easy to forget to bolus and stay on top of my blood sugars.  

Congratulations and Good Luck !

congrats! I want to be a doctor when I get older and I am so glad to know that there are people with diabetes out there that become doctors!

awesome work :) I'm sure once you get into the swing of things, you'll be totally fine and wonder why you were nervous. always happens like that to me, i get nervous and worry how my D will react, then it turns out okay =)

That is wonderful news! If you think back to all the things you have accomplished since being diagnosed with T1, I bet you were afraid D would get in your way with many of those things too but, it didn't. Look how far you have come....finishing pre-med school is a major accomplishment.

My daughter goes to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh endocrinology department. Because it's a teaching hospital, we often see residents at our appointments as well as our attending.  At our last visit the resident we saw was a T1 himself. It was amazing to get his perspective on my daughter's D management. He was terrific and my 8 year old daughter thought it was way cool that her doctor had T1 too!

Good luck and keep us updated!

Congrats Amanda!!! Best of luck to you, you will do fine.

congratulations! and u shouldn't worry too much about your sugar, after you adjust to your new lifestyle your sugar should be fine

thank you everyone for your support... I went and talked to my new professors for the fall and found out that I am going to challenge two of my finals (study at home)  which will take the course load down a little which will cut the stress some also. I have the omni pod right now which I love because there is no wires but right now we are going to start CGM? I think its called so that I dont ignore my lows... because I tend to not feel them when I am busy. My endo seems to really be on top of things and ready to figure things out because as she says once med school starts there is no time to try to fix it. Especially now that I will be working along with going to school. I guess with all you guys support along with the amazing medical team I have things have worked out fab

Congrats and good luck!

Congrats! It will be great for you as a doctor to know how challenging a chronic disease is. I am sure you will do great!

Also - don't feel bad about having to care for your health. You will not be doing a patient any favors if you ignore a low while you are treating them. It will happen, but learn from each experience about what you can do to try to prevent it the next time.

Congratulations!!! Fabulous news!!! Don't let anything stop you!! Your health and med school are the best thing that could ever happen to you!! Keep up the great work!!!

hey Amanda, Congrats! 

I would definitely recommend getting a CGM, especially for during clerkship/residency when schedules are continuously changing and you will need to micromanage. I've definitely found it useful so far during undergrad.

Dylan  

I absolutely agree with Dylan.  Getting a CGM is going to be a huge help.

I'm a second year medical student right now at the university of arizona.  I've done extremely well my first two years and filled my time with LOTS of studying, some clinical experience at the hospitals and at local clinics, and even published a case report in neurology.  You can do it!

But, be ABSOLUTELY sure to take good care of your diabetes at the same time.  I've managed to keep my a1c in the 6 range throughout, and I know you can do it too.  You're setting a great example both to your fellow medical students, your medical school professors, your friends, and your family that those with chronic diseases like type 1 diabetes can live very rich, fulfilling, and successful lives in the face of a disease that is VERY difficult to manage.

Good luck!  Send me a message if you have any questions or would like any specific advice.  You'll do great.  I was very worried too.  It's totally normal.