Kidney problems

I already take 20mg a day of acupril, it's because when i was youngher we just could not keep my blood sugars down. I had a severe kidney infection when I was being careless with myself about two years ago. As a result I now watch myself more carefully and try to protect my kidneys the best I can.

My daughter is 12 and she has been Type 1 for 6 yrs now. She doesn't have any problems yet, but she is not checking her blood sugar before she eats, eating things she shouldn't or when her blood sugar is too high. I'm at a loss. Tonight she wasn't feeling well and asked if I would get her some water. I said yes and asked her to check her blood sugar. She did and it was 499! She had told me she was drinking unsweetened tea earlier and then said, oh my blood sugar is high because I sweetened the tea. I asked her how much sugar she put in and she said, I don't know. These are her favorite words now a days. Anyway, I asked her why she did that, when we have carb free sweeteners and she was like, I didn't know we did. I don't know what to do. I know she will not always want to check her blood sugar and I offer to do it for her. I never get mad at her for high blood sugars, but now she seems like she doesn't care. Should I back off, should I punish her for not checking, should I set up a reward system to encourage her to check? I am at a loss. I don't know whether to help more or back off. I am just scared she will have complications. Help!

Ah ha...  a classic case of teenage/pre-teenage rebellion...  The only reason I can identify it is that I went through it myself, many moons ago (I'm now almost 41).  In my ealy teen years, I pretty much denied my diabetes and neglected to take care of myself properly.  At the time, I was on MDI, and I would take my insulin before meals, but that was about the extent of my caring for myself.  My mindset was always that "I feel okay, so I must be okay".  Please don't think that I condone this attitude!  Rather, it's more of a confession of something I am not proud of.

My bad attitude lasted for several years.  It didn't matter what my parents or my doctors said to me.  Then, I paid the price - complications.  In 2001, I developed diabetic retinopathy, due to my consistently high BGs for so long.  I ended up having four surgeries, not counting the laser surgeries, two in each eye.  Following each surgery, I found myself to be blind while I recovered.  VERY SCARY, NOT KNOWING IF I WOULD REGAIN MY SIGHT!  In the end, I did regain most of my sight, although it is very weakened compared to a non-d person.

Please be assured that I did not tell you all this to scare you.  The only advice I could give at this point is to try to find a Type 1 diabetic in your area who has suffered complications.  Have a real heart-to-heart with him/her and your daughter.  Maybe that'll be enough to get her back on track.  Otherwise, I think the comparison could be made to telling a young child:  "Don't touch the stove; you'll get burned"...  of course, the child has to do the opposite!

All the best of luck to you and to your daughter.

Eh Christina :)

I've been diabetic for 12 years now, and yes I to stick my hand in the cookie jar but im  17 and my dad tells me all about the danger's about what I should eat and what I do, If you hide the truth from your daughter she will contiune to think it's ok, it's best to try and re-ward her with her good job when she doesn't take something sweet by giving one sweet thing to her a week, a reward goes a long way.

best of lucky!

~EmilyKingoftheirish