Lazy diabetic

My a1c is 8.2. Not great but it’s because I’m lazy and sometimes it’s just easier not to care. I’m trying to get better about taking care of myself but it sucks and it’s hard.

It is…really tedious at times. Are you seeing an endocrinologist every 3 months? How about a Certified Diabetes Educator? Your endo can give you a referral to one. They’re great because they are nurses who (usually) get your frustrations, and they can often spend an hour with you to help you identify patterns, refine your carb counting skills, and tweak your regimen to hopefully bring that A1C down a little more. Each full point represents an enormous triumph, so it’s OK to take it in baby steps.

No on ever said it would be easy - only the real strong persons get saddled with this glorious T1D!

You have traveled at least half your lifetime with diabetes and that tells me you are a strong person. I can relate to the “lazy” because that is how I was for my first 15 years, or so. No telling what my BG readings would have been, just know if I ever bothered to test urine it was always orange - the worst possible. A1c didn’t come in until I was diabetic for over 20 years - when Joslin was developing the A1c I was one of the “bad boys” used in the control group.

You ARE on the path to getting better - your words, “… I’m trying …” tell me that. I’d like to make a suggestion or two if I may:

1. Set a short term goal for yourself - you haven’t told me anything about your lifestyle or what you enjoy doing. Make the “goal” reasonable;
  2. Add to that a longer term plan - where you want to be in life a few years from now. On this, remember that you may a year from now “see” a more important plan for your life;
  3. [OK. I can’t count.] Live life, enjoy who you are and do whatever you want to do. Don’t let diabetes hold you back - just keep a smart eye on BG levels, bolus properly for what you eat and go for it.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I have been that way for the past 10 years and you are right - it is definitely easier to just ignore it. A couple of Sundays ago, I was hospitalized with ketoacidosis and I can promise you it was the worst feeling in the world. The doctor told me that if I hadn’t called 911 when I did my body would’ve gone into shock.

It may not seem like it now, but ignoring it will only cause problems later on. It may not have an effect on you now but it will catch up with you later. It takes time to work it into your day routine, and there are definitely ways to make it so it isn’t a burden.

One of the ways I started to remember to check my blood sugars in the morning was a little competition I had going with one of my teachers. When he found out I was struggling with my diabetes, he let me know that he had diabetes too. Every morning before class he would ask my what my blood sugar was. It always seemed to be high and he said that we should have a competition to see who’s blood sugar was better. Who ever won for the day had to get the other a drink or snack of choice before the next class. I love my sugar free red bulls before a long day at school so that was my motivation to check every morning and now I never forget.

I hope this helps you and good luck :slight_smile: