Let's Get Serious

When did you take your diabetes serious ? To be more commited to try and take control ? Just when I think my daughter has,she will do something to make me question that.This week-end she left with friends and in her rush she left her meter.She has her insulin and can go buy another meter.But...I seem to be the one most stressed about her leaving it :(

I was diagonsed at age 6 and my parents pretty much dominated my D care until I was in high school/college.  After I was out on my own, I really slacked on my care.... taking insulin late, not testing, etc.  It probably took until I was about 23/24 to get serious.... so, 17 years after I was diagnosed?  Sorry.  :(  Everyone is different, though...  I think if I would have been "left in charge" of my care earlier, I would have gotten serious about it earlier.

i try to take diabetes seriously all the time, however it gets very tiring so i just can't always do it. because diabetes will never go away, i don't think you can ALWAYS take it seriously and keep your sanity. i almost always have my meter with me, however sometimes i'll still have an occasion where i'll forget about it. luckily, like you said, they are easy (and fairly cheap) to buy. i always tell myself as long as i care more often than i don't, then i'm doing just fine. everyone needs a break everyone once in awhile, and it's perfectly natural to worry about her, but just remember she lives with this ALL the time, so if she takes a mini-break every now and then, she will be okay. :o)

i think after i went to diabetes camp I started to become more strict with my diabetes but lately i have been very careless about testing and taking insulin. i just am going through a tough time and am having trouble focusing on diabetes when the rest of my life seems to be falling apart. i am hoping to control it better within the next week or so. my A1C is definatly going up =( but then i will just work harder on lowering it. also i have an endoscopy scheduled for March 17th and im hoping to get some answers as to why i have been feeling horrible for the past 3 months.

Well Meme I don't think that there has been any specific time that I took my diabetes serious or taken my diabetes serious over the years I've taken breaks from tight control diabetes but I still took my insulin but since I got my pump I bolus to cover what I've eaten. And sometimes it's an accident that I've forgot my meter or even my pump!! And you are going to be stressed out more than your daughter because you care about her & your conserned about her health & possible complications down the road. Maybe you should let your daughter know how you feel about these things but still let her control her care, maybe if she knows how things like this stress you or make you feel that might help her value herself to.

I think I've always been pretty serious about it, although when I was in elementary school my parents controlled everything for me. 

I agree with CJ in that even if you try to be diligent with your care, accidents still happen because no one is perfect.  How you and your daughter respond to the accident is what matters.  I try not to make a big deal out of things that are diabetes-related even though I am responsible at the same time.  My mom, for instance, will ask me over and over again if I have glucose tabs, snacks, and test strips before I leave the house while I will pack the minimum amount of supplies.  I know what I need but my mom doesn't always trust me to remember because she is, after all, my mom.

CJ,how about that--you just made me realize something..I have never said that,I am too busy running around life like a chicken with my head cut off-to just stop and say ''I am concerned for your health "... I do reminders of did you do this or have you done that...I  will tell her things such as-Think of your future,you will want to marry and have kids someday....and many people live wonderful lives with type1,do like they do and stay on top of this....many things like that...I guess I don't want her to know that my heart gets heavy at times as a mom,that I worry and stress for her future with this type1 stuff....Children -raise them ,love them and hope they have a beautiful ,healthy life..That is it :) thanks all thar posted :)

I was diagnosed at 10 and took it very seriously until I reached high school. Then my parents kept hassling me and this was something that i had control over. It is cliche but I also wanted to be normal. I didn't want to be diseased. When I was told to think about the future, I thought "Ugh - I would rather DIE than be old." Yes, I was a challenging teen to deal with. But I think one of the greatest challenges for parents of children with diabetes is the child's struggle for independence. Teenagers' brains have not developed completely and so they lack insight. They take risks because they don't appreciate the gravity of the potential consequences. Its part of development. There have been several studies about parenting children with diabetes and it found that children with parents that were too overbearing with regard to glycemic control did worse. However, they also found that those with parents who were laissez-faire and minimized the importance also did poorly. Its a balancing act. It takes some time for kids to develop the inherent desire to control their blood sugars, not because they are supposed to but because they know its in their best interest.

I came back around the summer after I graduated from high school. I don't know why but it hit me - I need to be on it. And it became a challenge. I looked forward to every doctor visit in college, one because I loved my endo, but two because I wanted to see just how much better i had done. I loved (and secretly still do) getting my A1c. Its a source of pride. Its the manifestation of my hard work.

Keep at it. You are your daughter's insight. Rewards may be helpful. I think encouragement is even better. Threats of future catastrophe tended to be less effective. I figured that, as promised when I was diagnosed, the cure was just around the corner. I think most of us have felt that way.

You are doing your best. That's the best you can do. You are spot on - raise, love and hope for health is what you can do!

Oh meme,

Well darling I can only imagine how raising kids & life in general have you running around all the time. I know that you love your daughter so of course it's natural that you worry, your a great mom so when life gets busy we all forget to say those simple things to the people we love. If she is old enough to understand then maybe you should let her know that you worry & stress about her future.

[quote user="meme"]

When did you take your diabetes serious ? To be more commited to try and take control ? Just when I think my daughter has,she will do something to make me question that.This week-end she left with friends and in her rush she left her meter.She has her insulin and can go buy another meter.But...I seem to be the one most stressed about her leaving it :(

[/quote]

in late 1999

after approximately 22 years with diabetes, when my entire life was falling apart around me.  Things have gotten better =).

For me it's easy. Since the start. I think it was being 52, ICU and DKA. Scared the poop out of me!!!!!!! LOL

[quote user="C"]

i try to take diabetes seriously all the time, however it gets very tiring so i just can't always do it. because diabetes will never go away, i don't think you can ALWAYS take it seriously and keep your sanity. i almost always have my meter with me, however sometimes i'll still have an occasion where i'll forget about it. luckily, like you said, they are easy (and fairly cheap) to buy. i always tell myself as long as i care more often than i don't, then i'm doing just fine. everyone needs a break everyone once in awhile, and it's perfectly natural to worry about her, but just remember she lives with this ALL the time, so if she takes a mini-break every now and then, she will be okay. :o)

[/quote]

I will have to completely agree with C on this...

If you take it too seriously you can go insane. I just always tell myself HIGHS HAPPEN. All you can do is try the best you can, we are human and we make mistakes and you can't be on all of the time...

My parents were always very serious about taking care of my diabetes but as I grew into a teenager I got more lax about taking care of myself until one time I went to the hospital (for surgery not diabetes related) and it just so happeded that my roommate was also T1 who had the same endo as me.  She was 18 and she was there to get her big toe amputated.  My endo told me to take a look at her feet and I couldn't believe what they looked liked.  It basically scared the living bejesus out of me but it got me serious.  I believe I was 16 at the time.

When I got home from the hospital after DKA, my ex fiance and I went to a party across the street. I was coming "down" off 500+ blood sugars (newly diagnosed Type 1) and my heart was racing like I was having a low, and I didn't understand it. My father, who is also a Type 1 adult-onset, talked me down and my mom (who's a nurse) told me some things to eat - she was thinking it was heart palpitations due to my depleted potassium.

I basically had a nervous breakdown in my nightgown upstairs and cried for about 4 hours all alone.

After that, I just realized - its fight it and win or lie down and die. That's all there is.

And as far as showing someone how to take it seriously - there's an episode of Grey's Anatomy with a guy who ignores his Type 1 diabetes and they amputate his foot. That should put a little fear of god into anyone!