Let's share!

Now that you've advertised for new members for the group, Angela, how about if we share about our background and whether T1 has affected our work at all.

I'm a speech-language pathologist, and I specialize in ages birth to five. I just spent the last 5 years teaching at a preschool. I co-taught a toddler or preschool class each year with an educator where about 15% of the students were deaf, and the others were typically hearing kids. That's my classroom experience, but I've also worked doing home visiting, and I'm starting a new job at a private practice on Sept 13th. Due to the age of my students, they're pretty clueless about noticing if I inject myself or anything... Usually they just say, "Mrs. K is taking her medicine" and ignore it.

My classroom work was SO much better this past year once I went back on the Dexcom. I could easily glance at it and see if I was okay without having to break out my meter. I once co-taught with an educator who's father was T1. When I did home visiting, I co-treated with an OT with T1 sometimes, and we used to joke about how awful the occasional sessions were when we both went low b/c there was no one cognitively with-it at that point. (: We started scheduling right after lunch instead of before!

OK!  I am a sixth grade teacher and I am getting ready to begin my 14th year of teaching.  I taught fifth grade for one year and sixth grade the rest of my years!  I started out as a long term substitute in my current position.  I have taught students of all different ability levels.  I have taught all subjects.  I recently made a switch from social studies to science.  So currently I teach math, communication arts (reading, writing, grammar), and science.  I got kind of bored teaching about ancient cultures in social studies...so I switched to science!  I love teaching science!  I am on a team with five other teachers, including a special education teacher.  I am at a building that consists of fifth and sixth grades only.  We have close to 700 students in our school. 

I have only experienced one bad low during my almost 14 years.  And it wasn't with any students around, thank goodness.  I caught it and I immediately ate some sugar tabs and went to a meeting that I needed to attend.  When I tried to talk to my administrator and guidance counselor, nothing really came out right.  I was on my way up, but they said it sounded like I had been drinking.  So, I guess my speech was a little slurred...but I soon came up!  I kept shoving in the sugar tabs (which I HATE!!)  I am really good at catching my lows.  I have people who help to cover my class when I need to check or inject.  I am right across the hall from the faculty room, which helps!    I do not check or inject in front of my students. But I do eat in front of them, if I need to.  I sometimes share:)  I tell all of my classes about my diabetes on the first day of school...they usually have a lot of questions and they usually know someone else with diabetes.  So they know what to expect and I don't get all the questions when I am snacking!  I always tell them the symptoms of lows and highs and they are really good at reading me!  It's amazing!  I really LOVE my job! And I consider my classroom full of students my second family! 

I was a math teacher at the college level 1963-1997. In the years 1963-1970 I taught in VA and NC, but my salary was very low and fringe benefits were almost nonexistant. Someone told me I should look at colleges in the nortern part of the country. I found a community college in the Catskills region of NY state, where the salary was higher and there were wonderful fringe benefits. It made life for our family so much easier. I retired in 1997 and taught part time until 2004. Teaching adults was what I wanted to do. I wanted to teach some higher level courses that would not have been in the curriculum at a high school.  

I had no way of testing my blood sugar for my first 20+ years of teaching. I tested my urine whenever I had the chance. I carried a small container of sugar in my pocket at all times, and used it when in the clsaarooms, or in my office. I had high urine sugar most of the time, but there were times I needed that sugar. My students were adults and they certainly understood my situation. While teaching in NY I had nursing students in my classes on many occasions. There was a nursing program at the college. My nursing students did help me on one occasion, but that would make another long discussion. Maybe another time.

I had diabetics in my classes in NY. The college nurse sent notifications to the teachers if there were diabetic students in their classes. When these students learned that I was also a diabetic, they seemed relieved. They knew I understood. The problem was that I had students who approached me on the day of a test and say their blood sugar was very low and they were unable to take the test. I remember one student who did that on three tests in the same classroom. I could not prove she was wrong, so I allowed her to take make-up tests later in the day, or on the following day. I did that for several students. I think I had diabetic students who took advantage of me, and I  have always felt guilty about that.

I went to school for elementary education (k-6) and got endorsements in reading and english/language arts. for my field experiences, practicums, and student teaching i ended up being in every grade except 6th. i had a lot of fun and thoroughly enjoyed teaching. my favorite was when i student taught 4th grade.

after i graduated and earned my teaching license, i briefly looked for jobs, but soon when into rehab for alcoholism. while i was in treatment, i realized my dream was to help educated other diabetics. i wanted to prevent others from walking down the same path i did. after rehab, i re-enrolled in college and earned my BS in dietetics. i just finished my internship a little over a month ago and am now preparing for the registration exam. i'll have to earn hours as a regular dietitian for a couple years before i can earn my CDE, but i'm looking forward to working with diabetics :o)