Levels everywhere

My son has been wearing the dexcom g6 now for 4 days and his levels are everywhere, is this how they have as always been and we just didn’t know because we only check before meals. Also the cgm is sometimes off up to 30+or- really frustrating

His blood sugar was probably this way and you didn’t realize it if you were only checking at meals. After they eat then it usually rises and then sometimes drops before the next meal. We have g5, but are getting the g6. Sometimes it will be off. If it is off too much then I would call Dexcom and talk to them about it. We calibrate our g5 if it is off 100 or more. My 11 year old daughter has had diabetes for 5 years now. I hope this helps.

I was thinking of giving his insulin a little earlier to try to prevent the spike

1 Like

Hi Brad @Brad8713, you didn’t mention why a CGM was recently prescribed for your recently diagnosed 8 year old son, so I’ll presume that his medical team suspected that his BGL [Body Glucose Level] was not staying level. If you return to managing with finger-stick BG [Blood Glucose] readings, I strongly checking at 90-120 minutes AFTER eating - as well as before eating. I’m presuming that he is using MDI [Multiple Daily Injection] insulin therapy.

You say that his “CGM is off” - are you certain his BGM [Blood Glucose Meter] to which you compare is accurate? A BGM, which analyses blood, can be “off” by 15% and qualify as accurate. A CGM analyses the body interstitial fluids [NOT blood] and can naturally differ at times from blood readings - especially when his glucose level is changing. I try to do my calibrations / comparisons only when my CGM arrow is pointing horizontally - of course I do a BG finger-stick whenever I do not feel at the level indicated by my CGM.
Another thought - you said this is his first sensor, and only three days; my CGM manual said that the first 24 hours of a sensor MIGHT not be totally accurate - not the manual exact words, but how I interpret the meaning.

They were always like that. The CGM is a great tool but it can cause anxiety.
We give insulin before meals after a lot of practice anticipating what she will eat and what the carb count will be. Then we wait until the number starts going down, 15-20 minutes, and serve her meal.
The deviation of +/- 30 is totally acceptable, it runs behind and is measuring interstital fluid, not blood glucose. For the record, if you took 2 bg readings in a row you might find them to be off as well, no measure is 100% precise.
It’s a fantastic tool for predicting levels, and seeing how different foods affect your kiddo, and actually alarming for lows. Don’t let it stress you out.

I learned all sorts of stuff about myself when I switched to a CGM last spring. The biggest revelation was learning that all the mornings I’d wake up feeling like I’d been hit by a bus and not slept at all were because my blood sugar had been hovering just below 70 all night long. It rises in the morning because of dawn phenomenon and is often high at breakfast, so I never knew until I could see it “happening” in the graph on my CGM. I had never realized before how much diabetes affects my sleep habits.

I was told when I switched that my CGM would lag behind my blood glucose by about 30 minutes and would be less accurate the faster my blood sugar is changing. It takes a long time for the sugar in the blood stream to make it into all the other body tissues. I have a Freestyle Libre and it actually tells me to check my blood sugar if my glucose levels are rising or falling rapidly. I still rely heavily on how I’m feeling to decide how much to trust my CGM. If it says my glucose level is 80 but I feel a little sick, I’ll still have a small snack (or check my blood sugar if I’m able to in that moment), especially if it’s been falling for a while. If you ever don’t trust a reading, it wouldn’t hurt for your son to check his blood sugar. And eventually he’ll get the hang of the deviations and be able to make judgement calls on the likely accuracy. The glucometer and the CGM are both just tools to help you and your son make informed decisions. You don’t have to rely on one or the other; you can use both.

Our daughter (11) has had the G6 since October and the G5 since July, we are 14 months into our T1D journey.

We can see her glucose vary dramatically through the day, her finger stick charts from her honeymoon phase look amazing and now not so much. As an athletic pre-teen, we expect a lot of unplanned variation and the CGM helps get ahead of hormones and illness, but doesn’t help us avoid those spikes altogether.

I agree the G6 can be off more often than Dexcom would like. It seems to be fine if the readings are under 200, but anything over that and the variance from a finger stick can be 20-50%. I still finger stick for correction boluses just to make sure.

Good luck!

there is always going to be a difference between finger sticks and the cgm. Finger sticks use whole blood and the cgm uses the fluid between the blood cells for measurement. Don’t get me wrong the cgm is a great tool which in turn helps you stay WITHIN YOUR GUIDELINES.

Chances are Julie, it is the Meter that is “off”. About the only time that the finger-stick and CGM reading will match is when her body glucose level [BGL] has not changed for at least 30 minutes; look closely at the CGM screen.

More than likely he was always like that. It’s good now you have the information and data. Will only make you wiser.

I wouldn’t worry too much about glucose readings differ from meter. You can pretty much lose the meter now. The only time I would really check it would be if you feel low or they show signs of low symptoms, but meter says normal.

What I would recommend is to take changes slowly, one thing at a time. If you do to much you may just create more issues since you don’t know all the cause-effect senerios. Hardest part for kids that are active is judging the effect the activity will have on their body. Sometimes certain workouts I don’t realize/have drops for 12-15 hours later for like strength conditioning, while physical conditioning is pretty right after.

Good news is the CGM will no doubt help.

Just an FYI, I’ve worn the G6 for over 8 months now and have only checked my blood glucose 2 times with wearing it. So you should feel comfortable. If you feel something is really off then call doctor, but if your talking differences like 115vs135 then, I wouldn’t worry to much. If it’s 70vs140 then there is a major problem.

Our endo still requires blood checks via meter at mealtimes for now, this might change once she is using her pump. But they’re really cautious with children. Even if they didn’t I would if she was high and needed a correction since the numbers can vary so much and we can only do increments of .5 with a pen.

Hi Fiora @Fiora , I certainly understand your desire to “correct” your daughter’s high CGM reading when you see it; I always want to do that too when I see mine. But I’ve learned, the hard way, that this is not always the right thing to do.

Lijke right now, after a high carb restaurant meal, I see my CGM reading 240 mg/dl and the arrow is horizontal poisoning. I also see on my pump that I have 2.41 units IOB [insulin on board] with expected active time of 2.33 hours. I will NOT take a correction now. I want, and NEED, to avoid insulin stacking which could cause a severe low four hours from now after I have gone to sleep.
Please be cautious when correcting a high - in my case, I hope I took enough insulin at the restaurant to cover my meal. If I didn’t, I will take a correction at least four hours after my last dose.

Oh, no, I don’t correct when it’s reading high. The CGM going up after a meal doesn’t bother me. I am referring to the only time we correct her, which would be at the next mealtime if she is above 120, 3-4 hours after her last meal and insulin. I rely on the meter rather than the CGM before mealtimes for that purpose, as instructed by her endo.

1 Like

Fiora, you are very wise and have an admirable attitude with how you help your daughter manage her diabetes. You have learned much in a very short time and you apply your knowledge well.
I like how you attempt correcting her BGL to 120 mg/dl; as you may know, a ninety day average BGL of 120 mg/dl is equivalent to an HbA1c of 6.0%.

1 Like