Levemir - Is it really a 24 hour insulin?

For years, I have been using Levemir like a 24 hour insulin. My numbers were always higher at night - I just assumed that I was not counting my carbs right, something like that. I have a new endo, and he told me that Levemir is advertised as a 24 hour insulin, but it only lasts about 12-16 hours depending on the person. Since I have been taking levemir twice a day instead of once, my bloodsugar has regulated itself.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Levemir??

Yes. My little boy has to take it in the morning and at bedtime. He has been on it for about a year and a half. (Lantus for a year before)

I had the same experience with lantus. I always woke up high until a friend pushed me to try splitting my dose and taking half in the morning and half at night.

One more thing: Brandan's seems to work harder in the afternoon, about 4 hours after he takes it, then it tapers off. We still have issue with "dawn phenomenon" a lot of times.

i hate the dawn phenomenon....i usually bolus a half hour to an hour before i end up eating something in the morning depending on were my blood sugar is at.

My lantus last about 22 hours, so I split my dose a few years ago. It really helped my a1c once my endo suggested this, and he gave me the okay for trying to get pregnant a couple of months after.

Originally, I gave Levemir at bedtime, and played around with Novorapid during the day to keep things steady... In convo with my nurse, she suggested that with Levemir it is best to split the dose to make sure all hours of the day are covered. She was saying that Levemir does last 24+ hours; however, it starts to taper off and the tail isn't nearly as effective (hence splitting the dose). This seems to be working for me, and reducing the number of "corrections" with Novorapid.

I split my levemir dose as well....half in the morning when i wake up, and half before i go to bed! ...this way seems to work well for me :)

My son's endo says that most research shows that Levemir lasts less than 24 hours (he says about 18+ hours) which is why many people take it twice a day or use Lantus instead.  However, it seems to last about 24 hours for my son (age 8) who gets his one daily Levemir shot in the late afternoon.  He has been on it for about two years; always once a day dosing. 

[quote user="Don Gorney"]

My son's endo says that most research shows that Levemir lasts less than 24 hours (he says about 18+ hours) which is why many people take it twice a day or use Lantus instead.  However, it seems to last about 24 hours for my son (age 8) who gets his one daily Levemir shot in the late afternoon.  He has been on it for about two years; always once a day dosing. 

[/quote]

Good point. Regarding Lantus, my endo said it tends to last less than 24 hours, but the exact timing depends on the person. So, it's not worth splitting your dose unless your numbers show that type of pattern.

I am on Levemir, have been for just over a year. I personally feel in my situation that levemir doesn't last the entire 24 hours. I take mine at bedtime and humalog 3 times (breakfast,lunch and dinner) a day. I thought it was wearing off right around dinner because I was running very high at bedtime (300,400 and occassionally 500's). Plus when I began taking levemir I was waking up in the 30's and 40's daily.   So to adjust for this situation my endo was increasing my humalog dose at dinner and decreasing my levemir units. I started on 16 units originally but I currently only take 9 units. It seems to work alot better, I adjust my humalog as needed now.