Life Unexpected Show mentions "diabetes" and junkfood

I totally agree with you Molly--I emailed the CW as well, because I HATE when people either are too ignorant to know the difference between the diseases or even go as far as to judge me if I tell them I have "diabetes."  And I agree immensely with you in regards to type 2..it is more or less a preventable disease in contrast to type 1.  I am in no way trying to start an argument either, but I feel very strongly towards the fact that all type 1 diabetics did not ask for the disease and have absolutely no power over getting rid of it.  :(  I was diagnosed when I was 7, and now am 18.  I really feel that all type 1 diabetics have a much longer road ahead of them than type 2 diabetics.  

Ally--I totally understand where you're coming from when you say that you "love it when people ask me a whole bunch of questions.." because I like sharing knowledge about my disease as well, but I don't really think anyone "loves" being a diabetic...? That was kind of an unintelligent statement.

[quote user="schreiter"]

but I don't really think anyone "loves" being a diabetic...? That was kind of an unintelligent statement.

[/quote]

she's allowed to speak her mind. it's not for you to tell her if it's unintelligent or not.

Do you love being a diabetic?  I'm just wondering if anyone else out there loves having a disease that requires 10+ fingerpricks per day, thousands of injections, and possible complications.  I love sharing my knowledge about it and love the fact that it has helped me become a more patient, humble person, but I find it very hard to understand why anyone would love having the disease.  

you don't have to understand it. i was simply telling you she's allowed to say it.

[quote user="Ally "]I love being diabetic[/quote]

I have to say that I have learned to accept being Diabetic...it's part of me; I don't hate me, so I don't hate it :o)

[quote user="schreiter"]

I really feel that all type 1 diabetics have a much longer road ahead of them than type 1 diabetics.  

[/quote]

I mean no ill will to schreiter, but I find some irony here.  Someone else's statement is "unintelligent", and yet here's this blunder.

It was a typo :)  Ally's wasn't.  

The second type 1 should obvs. be a type 2.

Simma down now everyone.  You're all gonna make your blood sugars spike from stress. ;)

[quote user="Doug D"]

Hi all - I was going to respond to this last week but hadn't seen the episode you were talking about so I decided to keep my mouth shut.  Well, this weekend was one of those small world experiences.  I was at a fund raiser for the preschool where my wife is a teacher/supervisor.  I followed my wife most of the night playing the good husband and she said she wanted me to meet Kris.  I said ok.  It ended up being Kris Polaha, the guy that plays "Baze" on Life Unexpected.  To my wife's horor I said, "You know your show is causing controversy on a web site I'm on that people go to for type 1 diabetes support."   I went on to tell him about this particular thread and he said "I'm glad you brought this up because we certainly don't want to offend anyone.  The interesting thing is that the actor who plays "Math", Austin Basis has diabetes."    Without getting into the whol convo - Kris said that he wasn't certain if he was type 1 or type 2 but he is on a pump. Reading between the lines, I think they thought that if Austin was okay with it then it was fine (but that's just my take on it).

He told me to get his e-mail from the school when my wife gets back to work today and send him a note with my contact info.  He'll pass it on to Austin.  Whether it comes to reality or not, Kris said that he was sure Austin would come on here to explain the scene and answer any questions about it.  I told him that would be great if he'd take the time.    For those of you that responded to this thread to begin with, let me know if you want me to pursue it.      For the record, Kris was one of the most genuine and friendly people at the fundraiser.  I wouldn't want to take advantage of his generosity and spin his wheels if you guys are okay with the situation.   Thanks

[/quote]

Doug,

This is amazing!  Thank you so much for bringing up our concerns to Kris, and if you'd be comfortable pursuing some sort of conversation with him, that would be wonderful.  If the situation with Austin isn't possible for any reason, maybe we could just compile a small educational factsheet about T1 or a letter of some sort that could be passed on to the producers?  Either way, let us know, and thanks again for bringing it up!  Definitely is a small world.

Molly

I agree Molly,amazing ! Thank you Doug :)

Whether you have T1 or T2 it stinks to have popular media perpetuate the notion that the sole cause of diabetes is eating junk food. It makes it seem as if diabetes is the patient's fault. Sheesh. I'm glad some of you have contacted CW about this issue. We have to fight ignorance when we come across it.

~ Red

I haven't seen it, nor do I really intend to.. it will probably just make me angry :P but I was just watching Scrubs and was surprised that no one on Juvenation (to my knowledge) has commented on some of the things said on that show.. or rather how they're said.

[quote user="Lindsay"]

I haven't seen it, nor do I really intend to.. it will probably just make me angry :P but I was just watching Scrubs and was surprised that no one on Juvenation (to my knowledge) has commented on some of the things said on that show.. or rather how they're said.

[/quote]

I used to watch and loved that show for years, do they still make new episodes, no right? I remember the character that has T1, I remember some stupid comments but for me personally I dont even remember what they were or being offended by them.. what was said?

"Scrubs" is one of my all-time favorite shows. I never saw anything about a character with T1, what's the deal? I like the way they portrayed Turk having T2, though.

[quote user="Trish"]

"Scrubs" is one of my all-time favorite shows. I never saw anything about a character with T1, what's the deal? I like the way they portrayed Turk having T2, though.

[/quote]

Turk is supposed to have T1 or at least i thought it was supposed to be T1

[quote user="Evamarie"]

[quote user="Trish"]

[/quote]

Turk is supposed to have T1 or at least i thought it was supposed to be T1

[/quote]

Hmmm........ I remember it being T2. It was specifically said in the episode he was diagnosed, but maybe they dropped the "type 2" part and started calling it "diabetes" after that.

Hey Molly (and others)– wanted to give you an update.  I’ll be e-mailing Kris today.  I believe they are on the way back up to Vancouver to finish filming the season if not now then soon so I’m not sure how long before he gets back to me.  I was going to push a bit to see if Austin would come on here but at this point I’m just going to pass along the link to the thread and and my info to Kris and if Austin contacts me or posts an answer himself, then fine.  It is not your issue or fault but I just see this thread as a microcosm of what frustrates me about this site.  People just don’t want to listen or are just not open to other opinions.    Heck, I didn’t even find the joke to be an issue.  I have had t1 for 31 years now and I’m just not angry about it anymore.  I don’t think the joke was perpetuating that the sole cause of D was eating junk food.  I think the idea was to say that thousands of kids are now being diagnosed with type 2 and if you love that child, don’t stuff them with junk.  I also don’t expect everyone to know about diabetes just like I don’t know everything about all cancers, heart disease, fibromyalgia  or autism (just to name a few).   I used to get mad when people would ask so called ‘dumb’ questions because yes, it can get tedious, but if we truly want to raise overall diabetes awareness then we need to tone down the anger and educate others.   I went out on a limb to try and get an insider, if you will, to explain the joke, give insight to the line, but even the brain child of this site didn’t even seem to care.  I also don’t think we need to give an educational factsheet either – there’s a  T1 right in the middle of things – just don’t find it necessary.    I can go on and on but this is already way too long…    I wish you all well in the future.                              

In regards to the most recent Scrubs talk – In one episode (a few seasons back) “Dr. Turk” was diagnosed with T2 diabetes (yes, they didn’t say just diabetes they said T2).  It showed him sneaking cake and other ‘bad’ foods – in the end the character talked about eating the bad food was his way of coping and was so scared about the disease – it was actually a good episode.  It’s a sitcom – can’t really get much more into it past that and of course they are going to make light of it from time to time as it is a sitcom. 

[quote user="Trish"]

Hmmm........ I remember it being T2. It was specifically said in the episode he was diagnosed, but maybe they dropped the "type 2" part and started calling it "diabetes" after that.

[/quote]

completely my bad, i never saw that episode and i just assumed he had T1 from the way he handled it on other episodes oops!

[quote user="Doug D"]

Hi all - I was going to respond to this last week but hadn't seen the episode you were talking about so I decided to keep my mouth shut.  Well, this weekend was one of those small world experiences.  I was at a fund raiser for the preschool where my wife is a teacher/supervisor.  I followed my wife most of the night playing the good husband and she said she wanted me to meet Kris.  I said ok.  It ended up being Kris Polaha, the guy that plays "Baze" on Life Unexpected.  To my wife's horor I said, "You know your show is causing controversy on a web site I'm on that people go to for type 1 diabetes support."   I went on to tell him about this particular thread and he said "I'm glad you brought this up because we certainly don't want to offend anyone.  The interesting thing is that the actor who plays "Math", Austin Basis has diabetes."    Without getting into the whol convo - Kris said that he wasn't certain if he was type 1 or type 2 but he is on a pump. Reading between the lines, I think they thought that if Austin was okay with it then it was fine (but that's just my take on it).

He told me to get his e-mail from the school when my wife gets back to work today and send him a note with my contact info.  He'll pass it on to Austin.  Whether it comes to reality or not, Kris said that he was sure Austin would come on here to explain the scene and answer any questions about it.  I told him that would be great if he'd take the time.    For those of you that responded to this thread to begin with, let me know if you want me to pursue it.      For the record, Kris was one of the most genuine and friendly people at the fundraiser.  I wouldn't want to take advantage of his generosity and spin his wheels if you guys are okay with the situation.   Thanks

[/quote]

hi Doug,I know I may not say this well,but here goes.When I saw this first posted,I was thankful.For the months that I have been here,I have seen the same frustration over and over by myself and others,We -The Type1 community-do not feel heard.It is frustrating beyond anything that the media gets it wrong or does not take a quick minute to just tell what type1 is.It could save a lot of hurt feelings for parents of type1 children and the children and adults with type1.if they would only get things right.I also wish that as we are given this small window of opportunity to be heard that everyone would give more support to this idea.I think that it is great that you want to take this step to give us another chance for us in this type1 world to be heard.I don't want it missed and I thank you for trying.