Long term Diabetes Experience

So kind :heart: Thank you.

@LoloMama53 Hello Lori, and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Community Forum!

I, and many of the Forum Members, agree with you that continuing diabetes is beneficial and necessary - especially in recent years with so many new “tools” and the advancements in management philosophy. i’m in my seventh decade living with diabetes and find I’m still learning. You may find, if you read carefully some of the Community posts, that you will be exposed to some wonderful pieces of “Diabetes Education”.

Other on-going diabetes education is available to you under the “Resources” tab at the top of this page and at JDRF Chapter meetings and TypeOneNation Summits. Visit the “Events” tab, above. Two other sources for good, trusted diabetes education are T1D Exchange [t1dExchange.org] and diaTribe Foundation [diaTribe.org].

Autoimmune diabetes, TypeOne, is for the most part a condition that needs continual self management, and awareness of what our body is doing; you are living in your body full-time every day, an endocrinologist sees you onal a couple of hours per year. Someday, your Endo may be asking you, “what are you going to teach me about diabetes”.

I’m probably a bad person to ask as I work in medicine in clinical research. So I’m constantly reading & aware of trials etc. I’d say sitting with a CDE or RD doesn’t guarantee what you seek. If they aren’t constantly searching & reading they’ll know what reps tell them. If you want to reach out directly I can try to dig up a few options to scan that arrive in a daily email or sites to review Honestly learning on this is on us. I even tell my endo info she doesn’t know yet.

Stay strong and inquisitive.

3 Likes

Susie @Sqduarte, I agree with you completely. Note the last sentence in my recent post - that statement has been posed to me by doctors in various specialties.
And just yesterday I had a call from an endocrinologist asking me to explain a “fine point” about the t-Slim.

Hi there, I’ve had T1D for 50 years, now in my late 50s. Am very well-controlled with MDI (in range 90% of the time), so never felt the need to switch to the pump. It’s ALWAYS a struggle however and I do get a little down in the dumps sometimes from it. However, I’ve been very lucky as I was always able to afford insulin and other supplies (even if it meant staying in jobs I disliked, in order to maintain health insurance) and have not suffered any serious diabetic complications.
I just watched an excellent film (documentary) called ‘The Human Trial’. WATCH — THE HUMAN TRIAL. It’s about a clinical trial focused on a potential cure for T1D and I highly recommend it. Let me know what you thought of it !
-Joanne

2 Likes