Longer

I have diabetes- shocker right! :slight_smile: it’s really hard sometimes when you feel like you are 100 percent alone and that no one understands. Though I know there are others around me on this site that have diabetes I have a really hard time because I have yet to find some one who was diagnosed at the same age as me. I was told I had diabetes when I was 3 years old. I have never known a life without it. There are teens around me who have it but they have only had it for 2 or 3 years - I feel totally separated from these people because ive had it for 14 years and I’m only 17. I’ve had almost five times the years others my age have- and that’s 10 more years to get complications. I’d have to talk to 20-30 year olds to feel similar. I don’t know what I mean to gain by this post- maybe just to vent lol!

Hi, I'm 20, and I've had diabetes since I was 1, so forever! You're not the only one =) there is also a forum somewhere on here for people to post if they were diagnosed as a baby/child.

I was diagnosed at age 2 years, 3 months in 1966. Believe me, I know where you are coming from. When I was in my teens, I had 1 friend in high school get diagnosed at age 15. We were the only 2 in the school. But here is something to think about. In some ways, it was easier for you. You didn't have to change any habits when you were little. You didn't have to change your life, your food, your exercise, your parents attitude toward you didn't change. I think in some ways it's way harder if you get it when you are older. I know how frustrating it is for you, but I think it's a lot more devastating for the teens who get it.  Besides, at this point, you know sooo much more than they do and you also know that you can still have a life with this. Always remember that your diabetes will not stop you from doing anything in your life. With skill and determination you can accomplish your dreams.

And remember, it's always fine to vent. We get it too.

I totally understand. I'm almost 17 and I had dxed when I was 2yr. So I totally understand when I meet people who've had it for 2 years and I'm like, Hello, I don't know anything else. It's hard, but it someways I look at it as a blessing I don't remember before, because this is all I remember I can't whine for life before. Sure I wonder what it would be like to be "normal" but I don't know so it would be a little strang if I was. :)