Loss of a loved one

have any of you lost a loved one because of diabetes?

my grandma passed away when i was 2 years old, im 13 now. she was diabetic and 2 bones in her spine dissolved(disappeared). the hospital she was admitted to, didnt her take care of her/ help her. she was in bad shape and i believe put on life support. one day, our family had to say goodbye to her. i miss her so much but i know that she is watching over me.

R.I.P Mary Ann Fertig, beloved mother, grandmother, and wife

HI Lauren, with type 1 no,no one that I was close to.....Grandmothers are so special and wonderful.They can add so much to their grandchildrens lives.I am sorry she is not here.I don't know her age when she passed...I hope your family can share many stories about her.Remember Love is a strong bond and it lives on even when the person has passed away...... Take Care

I've never lost a loved one because of diabetes but when I was 18 my father passed away due to complications from back surgery.  He had numerous health issues, amoung them type 2 diabetes, heart issues, and asthma.  He needed the surgery because without it he would have become paralyzed.  During the surgery the surgeons actually nicked one of his arteries and he bled out.  He survived the surgery but then died a week and a half later in the ICU.  It was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with in my life.  Even to this day I still miss him and wish he were here.  However, I know that he is watching over me.  Through the years I've been through some rough times and his memory would usually keep me going.  Whenever times got tough and I wanted to give up I would think of him and I would think of what he would want for me.  This helped me to keep going through some tough times.  The whole situation has made me a stronger person and has made me realize that no matter what happens I can get through it.

R.I.P. Robert Tagliabue, Beloved father, grandfather, and Husband.  I love you Daddy!!!

My great-grandfather (who I never knew) actually had to have both of his legs amputated at the knees because he was diagnosed, unfortunately too late, with T2 diabetes. It really messed up the circulation in his legs and I can only imagine how frustrating it was for him and his family. We're lucky that diabetes is better recognized among doctors so that we are diagnosed on time, or at least before we develop serious complications like my great-grandpa did.

I'm sorry you lost your grandmother but I'm sure she is taking care of you. Think of her when you are having doubts about your diabetes, it might help to give you some motivation on those difficult days.