Lower effort grades because of type one diabetes

so my school gives us effort grades every 2 weeks from 1-9 based on how our teachers think we are doing

7 is average, 6 is ok, 5 isnt great, 8 is really good, and 9 is awesme

i've always gotten 6-9 until a new tennis coach came...

i do intramurale tennis so its not really serious. theres two caoches and one is new this year.. i cant do all of the running because it makes me go low and they get mad and annoyed when i have to go test. and i have been missing about half of the practices for doctors appointemnts and being sick. diabetes is complaicated, they dont really get it.

so they gave me a 5! and i've never gotten one.. its mostly th new coach because the other coach has a type one brotehr but doesnt know much... it's not even serious, like no games or anything, and they are giving me lower grades because i have diabetes and have to do things differently!

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrg rant over

you mean your overall class grade is lower because they are giving you 5's for your "effort grade"?? (never heard of such a thing before..they gave us number's along with our letter grade in elementary school like that but it was only on the term report card).

effort grades are like grades that you get every two weeks to see how the teacher/coach thinks you are doing.. these affect my end of term grade and also i'm applying out to high schools so they see them..

[quote user="bunucky_jonas_11"]

effort grades are like grades that you get every two weeks to see how the teacher/coach thinks you are doing.. these affect my end of term grade and also i'm applying out to high schools so they see them..

[/quote]

You have to apply to high schools?

private school

Oh, okay.

How is perceived effort in any way related to one's academic performance?

if i was "graded" on my perceived effort in high school (and college) i would have failed miserabley every time.

[quote user="C"]

if i was "graded" on my perceived effort in high school (and college) i would have failed miserabley every time.

[/quote]

same here. the number "grades" they gave us didn't effect our actually grade in elementary school, just let our parents know what the teacher thought about the work we were putting in. like "3 - needs to work harder to complete homework. participate more in class." etc etc kinda thing.

seems like a weird way to grade students, i've never heard of it before. stupid private schools.

Maybe this is something you should talk to the principle about. Have your doctor write something up that explains to them that it's hard on your body to make you do all these things they are making you do. It's just a matter of them not understanding the disease. Maybe sitting down with the principle, teachers and your parents would help out, they just need a little education. Don't let uneducated people ruin your future.

I agree -- that is weird.

I don't remember how they graded us in P.E. That's really not as measurable as academics.

Talk to the principal.

And find out if there is legislation in your state about discrimination against diabetics. Be informed!!

You (and/or your parents) need to talk to your state board of education/department of disabilities about this issue. This is actually a legal issue because you are being discriminated against due to a physical disability. If you feel comfortable identifying in which state you reside, I can do some research to identify resources for you to consult.

Your number grade is based on effort and should not be affected by limitations due to a physical disability. If you need to take a break to monitor glucose, eat a snack, administer an injection, need to miss practice to consult a physician/nutritionist/educator, manipulate the work-out, etc.. your grade should not suffer. The only reason your "Effort" grade should suffer is if you are putting in less effort for reasons beyond diabetes (ex: you're not focused, you are not a team player, you refuse to participate, etc...).

Best of luck!