Lows

I'm not real experienced with lows yet. My grandmother has been diabetic for 26 years she says once you bottom out/ go low you go low again within 24 hours? Do you really? If you do does it increase the change of going low again if you bottom out twice in less then 5 hours?

[quote user="AutumnRachelle"]

I'm not real experienced with lows yet. My grandmother has been diabetic for 26 years she says once you bottom out/ go low you go low again within 24 hours? Do you really? If you do does it increase the change of going low again if you bottom out twice in less then 5 hours?

[/quote]

Is your grandmother type 1 or type 2?

You don't necessarily go low again within 24 hours - it depends primarily on how you treat your first low.  If you just have instant sugar, like jelly beans, and then don't consume any complex carbs for several hours or exercise moderately, it's definitely possible to drop low again because fast acting sugar doesn't sustain your glucose levels for several hours as more complex carbs do, and because moderate exercise increases the sensitivity to insulin in your system.  However, if you treat your lows with instant sugar, let it rise back to normal within an hour or so, and then eat a more complex carb snack or meal (like oatmeal or pasta) without overdoing your snack or meal shot, your glucose should stabilize.

hi,

I am not sure if your Grandma is a type 1,  if she's not type 1, then her experiences will be different that yours.

Eating carbs will make your sugar go up.  Taking insulin will make your sugar go down.    In my opinion and with my experience with type 1 diabetes, a low doesn't predict another low, for me.  I hope you can work with a cde or doctor because at first this can be a difficult disease to understtand and try to control. 

good luck AutumnRachelle

I never heard of going low again within 24 hours. To make sure i don't  drop again i try to have protein such as peanut butter crackers.

Yes she is type one I treated my low this morning with coke and a cheese sandwich which I thought would be enough carbs.

I'm with everyone else this is the first time I've ever heard of this.  When I go low I take in 15 carbs of juice, check 15 min later and if I'm still not up enough take in another 15 carbs of juice (or anthing fast acting) and just keep that up until I'm at a good level.  If it's at bedtime I also eat something with protein.

I have heard that tho for the life of me I cant remember where. It was either online someplace or the pink panther book.  It said if you go low you have a greater chance of going low again in the next 24 hours than you did before you went low. It didnt say any percentages but I have noticed if Ri goes low and its hard to get her up from the first low a second low does tend to follow later in the day. Not that that happens very often at all anymore.

What you heard may have to do with the liver.  The liver helps regulate your blood sugar by releasing glucagon to keep you from going too low.  Depending how low the first one was, your liver needs time to make more glucagon before it can start releasing more.  In order for your liver to store glucagon you need to stay in the normal range for a couple of days (everyone's body is of course different) w/out going low.   

That is how one low bg can lead to another.  Just keep this in mind when planning your meals, excercise and insulin.  I'm by no means a dr, but this info came from the "Pumping Insulin" book and helped me understand my lows a little bit better.

I don't recall reading where having a low will predict another low within 24 hours. But I do recall reading somewhere that if you go low again within a short period you may not feel it until you're much lower than the first time. I think I remember it had something to do with the adrenaline that your body used to alert you to the first low.

Sounds like you treated your low well. We always use those small boxes of apple juice (because it's the only kind of juice Sarah will drink), then I have her eat something with some protein, like a peanut butter sandwich, if she's between meals.