Lupus Anticoagulant (LA) positive

Has anyone tested positive for LA (Lupus Anticoagulant - a form of blood clotting) during pregnancy or after a misscarriage.

What kind of medication was given and can it be cured?

Please reply as soon as possible. I'm getting worried.

Toomshum,

I think this is something you should really ask a doctor.

Thanks Gina,

I went to my doctor yesterday and she referred me to a haematologist.

I was asked to take an APLA in which only the LA (Lupus Anticoagulant) test came positive. He said APLA are immune protiens formed by immune systems and it is not clear why some people produce more, but it can result in clotting of blood which can lead to miscarriages in the second or third trimester of pregnancy. There are a variety of APLA protiens produced by the blood and LA ratio is only one of them which has come higher than normal for me.

He said that the APLA have to be clearly elevated and be repeatedly positive (preferably 2 or more months apart) before it is considered to be relevant and significant.

He told me all the problems associated with it, but also told me that one test cannot confirm anything as in some it can fluctuate for no reason and it is not a perfect biochemical test like blood sugar which can be arrived to a conclusion instantly. All tests conducted with it and all other factors should be seen before concluding that it is indeed LA. THen future course of action can be decided.

Thanks for replying Gina. I was really worried that day.