Medtronic 670 to 780 or change

Hi, I know this has probably been asked a million times. I am so FRUSTRATED with my Medtronic 670 CGM auto mode-----I can ramble–I have been going low for over a year, meaning get at least one low a day—the beeps the alarms at 4am—“calibrate” thousand times a day …this…that…(anyways the rep said ok try the 780 this wk maybe and upgrade to something??? ANYWAYS I can get the Tandem also—my simple Q is (and I know everybody has differ views this/that pros of each cons of each…but ALL IN ALL should I make the change “yes or no” lol…this Medtronic they say helps, and yes Im sure it does but I think they should have and should make it “work better” before they try to make their $$$ and put it out to the public—so wondering is the 780 a step up or same shi# basically----its been a roller coaster for me…LOW then high…low then high–which makes my A1C seem ok/good…but nahhhh bs…-----sleeping my life away cuz tired of babysitting this pump and its problems…CGM falling out or etc or all the beeps I said up top…anyways any views anybody PLEASE—I have been trying to fix this for about. year and enough is enough…/thanks

1 Like

I would go with Tandem. I was on the Medtronic when I first got a pump. Constantly waking me and my spouse through the night with false lows. II switched from their sensor to Dexcom, which really helped - - so much better! Much more accurate - -. Except, Medtronic pumps don’t “talk” to Dexcom sensors. So, when my warranty was up on the Medtronic pump, I switched to Tandem and would never switch back! So, I would recommend Tandem. The choice, ultimately, is yours, but that is my recommendation.

Pam K.
T1D 58.5 years and counting!

1 Like

Hi, thanks wont keep rambling but just good for others that “get it”----even my Endo and Diabetic educators prob think Im some “@%@%” cuz I have tried to phone them contact them off/on alot for over a year
with me the Medtronic CGM auto-mode sure has its good times–(maybe 1/2 day only) lol----but it has driven me LOW alot—and NOBODY on their end can answer to me WHY—they just say “ok come back in 3months and they look at their reports–Im sure you know what I mean----the main Q though is some NEW Medtronic one 780 is it is suppose to BE ALOT BETTER===so thats the pt IM stuck at now/today—GO and try the new Tandem /Dexcom or give this “NEW and better” (we know sales)marketing but maybe it is…@#%@#%^#$^@…but yes I know only I can decide…but there has to be a “BETTER over the other one” no matter what people “think or say”…like facts
…Nike is better than no name runners”…anyways thanks

1 Like

Hello @veKKev and welcome to Type one nation. No pump can keep you from going low. Absolutely no pump automated or otherwise can keep you in range without help. If you are looking for a perfect system you will likely never have a great experience.

The key element in a feedback pump is the sensor. I have used every version of Medtronic sensors and I am not a fan. I am using a Dexcom sensor and I find it is superior to any Medtronic sensor but is far from perfect.

In my opinion, get a script for Dexcom G6 and try it. You might even be able to test drive one without a commitment. If you like it, then Tandem and Omnipod both use Dexcom as the sensor.

Whatever you decide, good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Thanks…NO there is something wrong with this pump when in AUTO mode or something wrong with me…it drives me low with the little “micro boluses” it gives----that aside Im tired of the whole Medtronic customer service /the beeping the calibrating the falling out of CGM stuff—so anyways yes I know most pumps alot the same but truly think some might be better also—just not sure if to give the NEW version 780 a go–heard good things on it—and wonder if its at least an IMPROVEMENT /thanks

1 Like

Another option to try is Omnipod5. I switched to it from Tandem a few months ago and am very happy with it. There is no commitment because the pods (pumps) are disposable rather than durable equipment so you can check it out and move on if you don’t like it. I find that its algorithm works better for me overall, although that is not the case for everyone.
The Omnipod5 has an auto mode and a manual mode. With other pumps you set your basal rates and adjust as necessary. When getting this system you activate auto mode and the system reads your body to set and adjust its own insulin flow. To be honest people do tend to run high the first two or three pods as the system is learning, but once it has learned it works well for many people. The user can switch to Manual mode - and sometimes the pump switches over on its own when needed - so you do have to have a good basal program set for this occasions, but auto is the mode you would be using for the most part. On Tandem I got frequent low bg alerts overnight. I rarely get them now.

PS - I worried what I would do if my controller broke, so I paid out of pocket for a spare to keep on hand - I think it was under $100. I have had issues with my controllers on occasion - thankfully nothing that kept me from managing my insulin (battery issue, an error code telling me to contact tech support) but I did call and get a replacement each time. The one I paid for is still in its box - in case there’s a delay in getting a replacement.
Speaking of which, don’t forget to call Omnipod if you have a problem pod - they should send a one.

I get it! I am in a very similar situation. The lows! Man, it really stresses me out. I went back to auto mode several months ago per suggestion of my Endo. I had just returned to her even though she’s out of network. Anyway, I trust her. At first it went well, but now it puts me low everyday. I can be stable with BG for 4 hours…no bolus, no food….no exercise……and then, I get arrows pointing down. In minutes I’m treating a low. I now sleep in Temp Target setting to avoid lows at night. It’s a roller coaster ride whether Auto or Manual. I’m exhausted. My next Endo appointment is in March. I may regret it, but I’m going to switch. I used Dexcom years ago when I was MDI. Nothing is perfect, but there has to be something better than living this way. I work harder than ever on my BG management. I deserve more.

I don’t think my expectations are unreasonable. Please post what you decide to do. I would love to see how you progress either way.

I figure if I don’t do well with Tandem and Dexcom, I can switch back. They provide a 90 day trial period, right?

My daughter uses the 770G and my uderstanding is the 780G upgrade isn’t avaible quite yet (awaiting FDA). We had the 670G as well and the 770 is a little better but the calibrations and BG requests, especially at night, are such a pain and frankly shouldn’t be necessary if your in your sweet spot already. Waiting to see what improvements the 780G upgrade will bring BUT when I spoke to the rep last year I didn’t see too much changing. We will take a look at option in about a year when our warranty expires and insurance will cover a new pump/cgm system. As to the CGM falling out, we do not have that issue. I use Skin Tac on my duaghter’s arm before I use the adhesive tapes. Good luck.

@veKKev First, I realize your post may be a rant like I posted a couple of weeks ago…we all get those from time to time, so if that’s it, we can listen. Second, if that’s not the case, and I’ll probably sound like a broken record here, but YOU have to be your own advocate! There is no one here that “knows” what will work for you. It isn’t that easy and it takes time to learn, but you have to lead your team (yes, Moms and Dads get to rule for a while! Yes, some docs “think” they’re in charge…we know the truth!). You need to be and are the de facto conductor for the docs, nurses, parents, family, friends…and device providers! If something isn’t working, you will know first and foremost because you live T1 every day and with the treatment results.

That said, and as others here have said, none of the systems on the market are going to give you anywhere near perfect results; despite claims to the contrary, none of them will keep you in your target range continually, you’ll go low and high both depending on what you do, what you set your pump settings to, and the way your body reacts. After doing your own research: thoroughly reading the docs and tips from others, testing your basal rates, ICRs, ISFs, etc., ensuring you’ve got your needs down, and after trying each small change and letting it go a couple of days to test…if it doesn’t work for you, decide and make a change to something else that makes sense from the knowledge you have gained!

If you want help in general or with a specific device, post the specifics of what your current situation is, what your settings are, what you’ve tried and why, and the results. Then, if it doesn’t work, ask for more help, and make a change one at a time to test its usefulness. Alternately, switch to Dexcom, or to the O5, or Dash, or Tandem or whatever “seems” to be working and is available to you. It’s a process that will take time and effort on your part…yes, even if you’re frustrated; though we all wish there was “someone” with the answer, most often there is not (we’re very luck if we find one).

BTW, I spent 8 years mis-dx’d at T2, mixed results on oral meds, now 2+ years correctly dx’d T1; I, like you, was NOT a willing participant! That said, in the last 2+ years I’veworked my way thru a year of MDI, got a G6, moved Omnipod Dash at 1 year, and made the leap to DIY Loop-dev almost a year ago, and plan on trying the G7 nexts…all this at age 68! I say all this to point out I was set in my ways, I’ve always been a Type A personality, in charge of myself and others…if I can adapt (even with some screaming and kicking!), I’m betting you can too!

Give us specifics and the folks here will do their best to help you!

1 Like

@veKKev Welcome Kevin to the JDRF TypeOneNation Community Forum! Happy to see you here and, yes there have been a few discussions in the last couple of years on this Topic - you can probably see them by using the “search” button. Just be cautious accepting everything you read in these posts - we all have differing perspectives.

You are correct in saying we are all different - and what works well for one may not be suitable for all. Before buying any new device I strongly recommend that you download and read the appropriate User Manual and be aware of advantages and limitations - I made a “Pro” / “Pon” chart when reading the manuals - It would also be helpful to meet with representatives of the various companies - attend events like the TypeOneNation Summit where all device firms have marketers/trainers present. I also installed the Tandem t-Slim simulator on my tablet and entered the data I was using in my MiniMed [Medtronic] pump at that time. I’ve used only Dexcom CGM in the last six+ years so I cant comment on the issue you experience with the Medtronic devices.

Bottom line for me is that following extensive investigation I began using Dexcom sensors and followed with a year+ later with a t-Slim x2 infusion pump. Since upgrading the t-Slim software to Control IQ [CIQ] when it was released three years ago my TIR using the international standard 70 - 180 mg/dl has remained at or above 90% for periodic 90 and 180 day ranges - the best I have felt during my seven decades injecting / infusing insulin.

Kevin, you say your 670G is run in auto mode. Do you know whether a “basal interrupt” level is programmed into your pump (ie: blood glucose level below which the basal rate is stopped)?