Medtronic 770G with CGM Experiences

Just joined here, so hello!

I hope this is the correct category for this post…

I have had T1D now for almost 28 years and I have been on an insulin pump (all medtronic) for almost 20 years. I am needing to get a new pump since the warranty on my current one has run out and I am interested in getting the 770G system with the CGM setup, but I have never used the CGM before…

With my current pump, I had the option to use the CGM, but I just didn’t feel like having to have 2 different things in my stomach at the same time because I have always had issues with scar tissue and I didn’t want to risk not having any space to put new infusion sets.

I am at the point now where I am definitely more interested in using the CGM with the newest pump, but I have no experience with it or know of anyone who has used it before (I don’t know anyone around me who even has T1D), so I wanted to come here and see if anyone has any feedback on the CGM through medtronic?

• Ease of use?
  • Best places to put it?
  • Does it seem to really help curtail highs and lows or to even just alert you to them?
  • When the CGM notices your blood sugar trending low, does it then tell your pump to turn off your basal rate until your blood sugar starts to increase again and then it turns on again? I’m just wanting to know what the specific benefits of the CGM are in terms of helping to manage my BG, especially late at night…
  • Is it difficult to add the CGM to your body?
  • Has anyone ever had any pain or bruising or scar tissue in the area where the CGM was placed?
  • Is it a lot more work to have the CGM along with the pump?

Since this is such a big decision and the pricing is different for each option, I just want to hear from people who are or have used the CGM system through minimed and what your experiences have been with it, good or bad. :slight_smile:

I really appreciate any feedback or information you can share!

Thank You!

1 Like

@nicaha23 Hello Nicole, snd welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Community Forum!

I haven’t used the 770G with the new and, what I’ve been told, greatly improved CGM system so I can’t answer directly your questions. What I will do is strongly advise that you begin with a good quality CGM - in my seven decades living with diabetes I’ve found that a CGM is the best tool available.

I currently use a Tandem pump and Dexcom CGM which combine as an outstanding iAIDs. My three previous MiniMed (Medtronic) pumps could work with a CGM, but the available Medtronic CGM - at that time - was not up to my standards.

1 Like

Hi Nicole,
I currently use Medtronic 670 pump and CGM and have for almost 4 years. I don’t have experience with the 770G. I hope it’s an improvement over 670. I hope you’ll get some responses from those who are using it.

Everyone is different and I’m sure some people like Medtronic. I’m ok with the pump, but I have struggled a lot with the CGM. I’ve read that others share my issues, so I don’t think it’s just me. I’d really do a lot of reading and research before making your investment.

One thing you might do is get the adhesive strips to sample and make sure you aren’t allergic to them before deciding.

I can’t say I’ve had much pain with the CGM. The sensor is so tiny. Occasionally, I have irritated skin from the adhesive, but overall, it’s comfortable.

I wear my CGM on my upper arms, rotating weekly. My pump infusion on my stomach and lower back. My CGM didn’t work well on my belly. At times, the CGM is off from my meter, but does pretty well.

You can use the auto mode, which gives you extra insulin, if it sees you need it and stops it, if you need less. It sounds good, but it’s not without issues, like interrupting your sleep if you’ve been in a good range for too long or some people feel it let’s you run too high. I am now in Manual mode, but that will also, suspend the insulin before you get too low.

It took a couple of months for me to get used to the pump and CGM setup, but is now very familiar. Still, to me, the CGM is a huge job and I struggle with it waking me up and generally taking up a lot of time for unnecessary interruptions. There seems to be a lot of Sensor updating or other notification when there shouldn’t be. I find it very intrusive. Still, I would not consider living without it. I hope I can get improvement one way or the other. The good outweighs the bad. The best thing is that I can address a low before it gets too low. So, I have peace of mind for sleep, travel and special events. I would say you can’t ask too many questions about the product and your options.

1 Like

thank you so much! this is all very helpful information! i haven’t had an issue with any of the adhesive strips that medtronic has, so I should be ok.

The CGM does sound like a lot of work, but I’m hoping the most recent version has addressed those issues you mentioned. I did see that the 770 has the app where you can manage your pump on your phone and any notifications are made to your phone instead of your pump, which might be helpful. :woman_shrugging:

But, seriously, thank you so much for your honest answers! It’s always good to get them from someone who is actually using it and who doesn’t work for medtronic :wink:

Nicole

thanks so much, Dennis!

I’ve only recently started hearing about Dexcom and that’s because there is a plant/warehouse about 15 minutes from where I live now. :slight_smile:

I’ve just used Medtronic for SO long, that I’ll most likely stick with them, but thank you so much for your perspective for your personal preferences regarding the functionality of the CGM :slight_smile:

Nicole

1 Like

I’m in the mionority but I do actually use and like the 770 system. I don’t use the automode and didn’t expect to when I switched from the dexcom cgm system to medtronic after many years. I really expected to be using the 780 by now but its like everthing diabetes…one day soon?

One last thing, I REALLY like having a single supplier. Before I had to navigate 2 systems to get supplies and support if I needed it.

1 Like

Thank you Kevin @Grumpy for writing and posting this!
By far, this is one of the better brief, yet concise, “instructions” for effective diabetes management I have read. Your instruction should be adopted by all insulin users no matter which insulin delivery method one chooses to use.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis, Hopefully Nicole @nicaha23 will get a cgm of some type.

1 Like

Hi. I use Dexcom with Omnipod (previously Tandem) and love having a CGM. If you’re not sure how you feel about using one, you could check out the Freestyle Libre. It’s worn on the arm, which is not typically used for infusion sets so it’s probably not going to have any competition with yours.
It doesn’t have the bells and whistles of Medtronic’s closed loop, and unlike Medtronic’s you do have to swipe it to get your readings (at least that was the case last time I used it - which has been a while) - but it will give you a general idea what it’s like to wear one.
I Googled the sizes, and they’re comparable:
Freestyle sensor 35mm (approx. 1.4") diameter.
Medtronic Transmitter & Sensor Size: 1.41 x 1.13 x 0.38 in.
To be honest, I don’t even know my sensor is there.
Al the best to you as you decide!

1 Like

My hubby switched from a Medtronic 670g and Guardian 3 CGM on March 30, 2022. He now uses a Tandem and Dexcom. For him, the experience has been light years ahead of Medtronic. His A1c went from 7.8 to 6.0 in seven months. The software has been superior for him. Dexcom is FAR easier to apply and he just experienced his one and only bloody sensor two days ago. He was told to replace it, but finger sticks have revealed no difference so he is leaving it attached (but it will still be replaced). The Guardian 3 had bleeding issues on a monthly basis, which was so frustrating. They did NOT work if bloody. He was very hesitant to switch because Medtronic was very helpful and supportive over 20 years, but he never looked back. Hope you find what is best for your body!

2 Likes