Medtronic Connect

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone else has had any experience with Medtronic Connect, the new smart phone app/blue tooth device. So far I have been using mine for about a month and overall I love it! Since I use my phone all the time, I find myself checking my data on my phone more…I like the features the app has such as the ability to go back and look at the time when my BS spikes or drops and figure out what (if any) adjustments need to be made. My pump screen doesn’t give me exact times so I really like this feature. I also like that it tells me when my calibration is due because I don’t have to worry about “over calibrating” or having to get up in the middle of the night to do a calibrate which we all know can be extremely annoying. A lot of great information at my fingertips for my sensor and pump. I know exactly how much time is left on my sensor and whether or not I have a good sensor connection. I also know how much insulin is left in the pump and whether or not the blue-tooth is connected.

My Medtronic connect also eliminates the need to download my meter onto the care-link site. This makes it a lot easier to talk with my care partners. Not only can I look over the data at anytime, but my care partners as well. I have had the opportunity to use this while I was sick with the flu and my endocrinologist could monitor my glucose on her end because of the automatic upload. Even with the flu; I was able to keep my sugars under 250! And better yet, a small amount of keytones keeping out of DKA. When I am sick DKA is a big deal for me!

I have set up my system so that my husband and adult children get alerts on their phones when I am not getting any insulin. This usually happens when I have a kink in my line or my infusion set pops out while exercising, but it’s pretty rare so I haven’t had any experience with this alert yet. My husband also gets alerts on his phone when I drop really low. If I don’t respond to the low within 10 minutes or I keep dropping low while treating he gets an alarm on his phone.

There are a few things I would change about the app. I would love to be able to go in and “capture event” like I do with my pump to mark any extra meals, exercise or insulin I take because I add this information all the time. Also, placing the blue tooth on the back of my pump with velcro made it too thick to stick in my pocket so I have been wearing the clip with pump and putting the blue tooth device in my pocket. I have seen video of people attaching the blue tooth device to their infusion set line but I haven’t tried it yet.

One last thought…I taught special education for many years and I also am a child of T1D; diagnosed at age 7; before pumping or glucose monitoring. If I had a child with T1D I would want this…teachers, the school nurse, administrators, etc…would know when that child was in danger for highs and lows; especially if they are in a lock-down situation and the student can’t leave the room. If I were a parent of a child with T1D I would want the peace of mind knowing my child’s needs are met; even when they can’t ask for it…(that’s my special education blurb:)

I would love to hear about your experience with the Minimed Connect.

I’ve been using the Connect for about a month as well. I love being able to see the data on my phone, especially when I’m wearing a dress or something and can’t get to my pump easily. I do wish it shoed when my last bolus was on my phone like it does on my pump screen.

I have the alerts set to text my husband, mom, and dad when I go low (I’m still relatively new to diabetes, and I think this makes them all feel safer/more connected). But I notice that if I respond to a low alarm immediately, they don’t get texted. It’s only if I let it go off for long enough for my screen to return to the blank display or for the alarm to repeat that they get notified. Maybe that’s clear in the instructions that came with the Connect, but I only read enough of them to get it up and running :slight_smile:

I also really like the constant upload to CareLink. It’s great for my doctor, and for my mom who checks in on my numbers occasionally. Since I was diagnosed as an adult, she’s never really been a care partner in T1D, and I think she enjoys feeling more involved. I do still upload to CareLink right before an appointment though, in case there are any gaps in what’s been uploaded.

I do wish other care partners could see CGM data on their phones or got more details with their texts. I think it’s scary for my husband to get a text that I was low without knowing how low I was or what my numbers are now. I know he can see it on a computer, but that’s not always an option.

Overall, it’s an incredibly useful device. I wear it in my bra at all times. Maybe that’s not the best way to handle it, but it’s worked for me so far.

I just downloaded MM Connect and need to learn how to use it. I’m stumped on how to get my pump to talk to my phone. I thought I need the Bayer Contour to talk wirelessly. I am also trying to figure out where to learn about Connect.

Hi,

I am a minimed ambassador and use the MM connect. I have been using it for about 2 months and my insurance just changed so I am no longer using the Bayer Contour. Although I am testing with the old and new meters I am not having any trouble with just putting my BS into the meter with my connect. Look for me at the minimed Ambassadors site and email me through their site. In the meantime I will post the question to other minimed ambassadors and see if I can’t get a response. Melissa Casper