"Miracle" or "Zero" Noodles?

Anyone have experience with these? They claim to have no carbs (they’re a plant product), and so I counted them that way, but the two times we’ve eaten them, my daughter’s sugar spiked like it would have with regular pasta. Is this a coincidence and something else caused those two highs, or is there something about these noodles that raises BG?

Other possibilities include: the pickles she ate (also supposedly no carb); the chance that my timing was off (both nights involved pre-dinner hypos treated with juice, which delayed when she got her insulin shot by 20 mins or so – 2 shots/day regimen at the moment, just starting to mix Novolog with her NPH. She was on NPH-only for her first 9 mos. since Dx, but a1c was creeping up (5.8 at 6mos. became 6.8 at 9 mos.) so her endo added the Novolog. Powerful stuff, which we’re still learning how to mesh with the NPH appropriately); and simple math error, if I just happened to count wrong those two nights.

I’m leaning towards timing error, since she woke up at 92 this AM (and was similarly in range the following AM the last time) – which I’m thinking tends to argue she did have the right amount, but it kicked in late. Her pre-bedtime BG last night, which is what prompted my rambling, was 287, taken one hour and 15 mins. after dinner, as measured by when she started eating. But I also read those noodles are basically all fiber, which is supposed to slow the carbs from raising her BG.

I know not to get hung up on any one reading, but I do want to learn from patterns, if there are patterns to learn from…

Thank you for any insights you can offer!

I think you are on the correct track in blaming the supposedly “zero carb” noodles. In my experience, a 20 minute delay wouldn’t be a source of an elevated BG and the pickles [unless they are “candied” pickles] shouldn’t contain measurable carbs when eaten in moderate sized servings.

“Fiber” will increase BG, slowly, as it releases its natural carbohydrate - my suspicion is that somewhere in “fine print” the manufacturer / distributer states that the large print isn’t necessarily truthful. I have found that certain foods pushed as “healthy”, such as snack crackers, are less healthy for a person with T1D than the same brand’s ordinary food.

Bottom line mom, you are doing exactly what you and your daughter should be doing: trying different foods and creative combination to see what effects they have on your daughter’s management control. Keep up your good work.

hi @srozelle,

I am with @Dennis, in fact I did a few internet searches on “Miracle noodles” and it looks like there’s 3 grams of carbs per 4 ounce (not sure wet or dry… I think wet)

BE CAREFUL. Sugar Free ice cream (soda, donuts, apple pie, anything) may be labeled that way because they are allowed to label it that way and not because it is 100% literal. NO SUGAR apple pie typically means no sugar added. meaning the gosh darn pie has PLENTY of carbohydrates… but none from added sugar.

here’s a snippet from a review post I found…
The Miracle Noodles that [Stanger] references are one brand in a burgeoning market of shirataki noodles, a pasta alternative, made of tofu and a yam-like root vegetable called konnyaku. Although they’re wet and a little slimy with an odd aroma, the noodles, long popular in Japan, have seen a spike in sales in the U.S. thanks in large part to the endorsement of the blogger and food personality Hungry Girl. Hundreds of online recipe collections have popped up substituting shirataki for wheat pasta in dishes like Fettuccine Alfredo and Pad Thai. One 4-ounce serving of the slippery noodles made by the House Foods brand (the one Hungry Girl swears by) contains only 20 calories, 1/2 a gram of fat, and 3 grams of carbohydrates.

cheers!