Miss Manners

Have you seen this latest Miss Manners column? Would love to know your thoughts? http://m.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/miss-manners-future-grandchild-is-worth-chilly-reception-at-shower/2014/02/04/470657d0-8a98-11e3-833c-33098f9e5267_story.html

Thanks for forwarding! I think it’s baloney. I fly all the time for work. My own safety comes before what I fear others think of me, plus as per earlier discussions I really doubt anyone notices (work quickly, act like you are normal and boring).

Miss Manners can be a bit much and I think she went too far saying anything medical should be hidden from plain site.

However, I agree that testing next to someone on a plane is not cool. You could potentially have a “gusher” that squirts blood on your neighbor. Gross.

I think testing like breastfeeding. I don’t want to sit next to a stranger doing it, but think it’s totally fine to be in the same vicinity if the person is discreet.

A Response from Miss Manners, and Her Son with T1D, WOW!!! - http://ow.ly/u1Y8H

It’s funny, I’ve been in many situations like this where people have told me after the fact that maybe I should have done a BG check somewhere else because someone there is sensitive to the site of blood.

I’m very adamant when I say that I’ll check myself wherever I am and will not go to bathrooms and other private places just to do so. This doesn’t mean that I’m going to do it in your face (I respect boundaries) but I will do it on my lap, for example. When I travel, I’ll do it in my plane seat and anywhere else where I may need. I don’t see any issues with a person living with Diabetes checking themselves in public places.

So, yes I’m on board with what @theresakathleenc said. I think it’s absurd that people think otherwise (sorry for being so passionate about it - I got really annoyed the last time someone told me that because they have no idea what it’s like to have to inconvenience oneself for a drop of blood that shows for a total of 5 seconds).

As long as it’s not in someone’s face and you at least attempt to keep it on your lap or under a tray or whatever, no one should complain.

Very interesting read though!

Thank you @Gina