There are six things I've seen information on or heard about that I think are nearly too cool for words. Anyone who knows anything about these or has other research or ideas that they think are worth a read/mention/review - please post 'em!
1. http://www.centredaily.com/business/technology/story/916527.html Smart insulin. What a simple and great idea. (JDRF sponsored study now - thank you very much!) They are bonding insulin to a glucose soluable polymer so the insulin is autmatically released as sugar levels go to high. Even if it doesn't work out - hats off to whoever decided to try this one!
2. I have seen some information on benfotiamine that seems to indicate it may help diabetics dodge complications. It seemed to have as many questions as ideas but it sounded like it had a good grounding in solid chemistry, so I thought it may be promising.
3. There was an article in a chemistry magazine where they were trying to surgically implant a tube made from a permeable polymer to encapsulate beta cells (the ones that make insulin). The polymer was designed to allow blood flow and prevent immune cells from entering. It sounded like they were off to a good start.
4. I've heard of a couple companies working on infrared based CGM's. They will track real time blood values AND be completely non-invasive. How cool is that?
5. There was a study I saw where they were using a bone marrow infusion with the beta cell transplant so the implanted cells are not rejected. No immune suppressants – no more long term therapy - neat idea...
6. I heard about one http://www.hhmi.org/news/melton20080827.html - they actually repurposed regular adult cells using viruses to make them produce insulin. Fun!
Anyone seen, heard, know more???