Near Miss insulin reaction today

I had a near miss insulin reaction today. The Medics didn't have to come "Thank God'. I woke up acting all goofy and started munching on one of my roomates big blueberry muffins, and yes I will pay him back. I was arguing with my roomates who were trying to help me when they tried to give me a snickers bar? I said I don't like snickers bars? The things that go through my mind during my low bg's is alway's real weird. I have had so many reactions now that I am used to these weird almost psychic occurences about the meaning of life and stuff. I alway's feel as though I am near the meaning of life. Of coarse when I finally discover the meaning of life I know that I am no longer alive. Knowing the meaning of life would give any human too much power. I have had type 1 now for 28 years and have probably had about 300 or more reactions, some worse than others. I do everything right, check bg's 7 times a day, eat constantly, I am on a super low dose of insulin, less than 30 units per day, I see my endo all the time I eat before I go to bed etc. etc. etc. Their is really no explaining it, I have tried everything over these many years. I don't drink alcohol, I dont do sugary stuff, except during reactions etc. etc. etc. I have already heard all the suggestion from people and other type 1's many times. God help me.

After 25 years of diabetes I had the same problems.  No matter what I did I'd have crazy lows.  I got an insulin pump and the problem vanished.  I've not had a delirious middle of the night low since and rarely have any kind of low.  It's freeing.  

Know exactly what you mean about being low and feeling like you're about to know the meaning of life.  I used to have that same feeling with my extreme lows.  The reality is that my brain wasn't working fully (it runs on glucose) so I'm about as brilliant as any other drunk or high person.  I became a Christian about 10 years ago and have found the actual meaning of life that not only I feel and understand myself, but that I can intelligently explain to other people.  Much better and much more real than that feeling I had during lows.  =)

Take care.  Get a pump if there's any way you can.

-Jenna

Jon-I've had T1D for 37 years and have had my share of low-blood sugar incidents as well.  They are very hard to describe and explain to folks.  I will never forget my very first one:  I had been diagnosed for around 3 months and was 12 years old.  I was sitting in our living room eating an apple, and when my Mom looked up, I only had the stem left in my mouth...I had eaten the core and everything else!  30 minutes of my life disappeared and I was so confused as to what had happened.  Scary indeed!  

I know what you mean about "the meaning of life" experience during these episodes.  On several occasions, during low blood sugars, I have drifted off mentally and wondered whether, at those specific points in time, I was experiencing real life or having an "out of body experience" during which I've questioned whether I was in "another life"; perhaps one of a series of several different lives that one has, so to speak.  Weird, isn't it?  Very hard to explain rationally!

Twelve years ago, I crashed my automobile because of low blood sugar.  This changed my life:  I took control of my disease and got on an insulin pump.  Things have been much better ever since.

Good luck and best wishes!

Carl.

Hey Jon... I am sooo sorry to hear that you are still having such difficulties with your blood sugars and lows.  I know this is going to sound crazy, absurd and you are probably going to say "there is just no way I can do that".. but.. I really think you need to come to Boston and get an appt at the Jsolin Diabetes Center.  They are truly the experts in all things Diabetes and how anything and everything else plays a part in Diabetes.  I was having more complications than you could ever imagine and having highs, lows and everything in between until last year, my Brother MADE me go to Joslin.  hey have a program and Im not sure of the exact name of it, but I think it was called somethinng like a "critical incident admission"  they whipped me into shape in no time and now a year later, I not only am have gotten my A1C from 13.9 to 6.4, but I am on a GM that alarms me when my blood sugars go too low or too high and I am getting put on the pump within the next 60 days.  Jon,  I am worried about you and really think you need to look into this and do anything and everything it takes to get to Joslin!!  Be well, my friend!!  And if you do get to Boston... look me up and I will meet you there so you aren't all by yourself  :}

Joslin Diabetes Center ph # 617-732-2400  tell them you need Adult Diabetes and a critical incident admissions appointment

I've been to Joslin before at Swedish hospital here in Seattle, thanks though. I was on a Minimed Insulin Pump from 2001 through 2011 and my reactions were even worse then, since I got on Novo-Nordisk's Levamir "injecting' I only have like two reactions a month instead of like 10 when I was on the pump. I've trained under Dr. Irl Hirsh at the University of Washington Seattle, Dr. Ed Benson at Virginia Mason Seattle, Dr. Ken Gross at both Group Health Seattle and Virginia Mason Seattle. I have done 4 2 week intensive seminars at Virginia Mason and Group Health. I did a 2 month outpatient training program at The Joslin Center at Swedish Hospital Seattle, etc. etc. etc.??????????? I did clinical testing for the Minimed Constant Glucose Monitor at The Rainier Clinical Research division of my current Endo and the CGM didn't work on me because I am so thin. The catheter kept bending and screwing up the transmitor so I was disenrolled from their program. I met with the clinicians and Scientists from Minimed and they said I was just to this, "not enough body fat", plus wear my pump and that CGM thing made me feel like a Cyborg from Star Trek, and the CGM would always start alarming me in the middle of the night interupting my sleep and Minimed wanted me to call them 24/7 during the trials if anything would go wrong so I would then be on the phone for 2 hours. I was so tired during the clinical testing of the CGM that I started seeing double and became like a zombie.

WOW... that is aweful.  you have been through a LOT!!!  So what do they tell you to do??? Just "deal" with it? There has got to be someone that can help you.  I'm sure you have done and gone through everything possible.  I wish I had some other advice to give you, but i dont.  Just know I am always keeping my eyes and ears open and think of your troubles with this all the time.  If there is anything I hear of, I will let you know (not that you need someone else telling you what to try next... but ...wish I could help)  Keep the faith... it has to get better than this.

Jon,

I am sorry you are continuing to have such difficulty. I am happy for you though that the paramedics did not have to come this time. Are you able to work? Can you recognize the lows during the day time or are the bad lows like this always during the night. So frustrating sometimes! I understand.

Thanks for all of your concerns and prayers and thoughts. Islet transplantation is a possibility for me? I think they do it at St. Louis University? My Aunt gave me all the paperwork and i need to go back over it. Acceptance is the key to my survival with my diabetes and life in general. Having a sense of humour is key. It is amazing how a small guy like me can outwrestle 3 big cops, "lol". The cops don't like it but it teaches them a lesson when their involved with dangerous criminal's. They have learned to never underestimate smalll guy's, they have told me that my insulin reactions are good training for their officers. You alway's have to look at the positive.