Needed: diabetic kids with funny stories for my blog

Hi, I’m Laura! I was diagnosed with diabetes at the tender age of 4. People don’t believe me when I tell them that I’m, in fact, grateful for finding out at such a young age. But it’s true, I really don’t know how I would have ever adjusted to such a drastic change of lifestyle at any age older than that. Props to the so many of you who have.
I was a very lucky little diabetic, with a very supportive family. In fact, so supportive, that my mother created her very own support group for children with diabetes in my area. I also had the opportunity to attend a diabetes camp every summer (shout-out to Camp Conrad-Chinnock), which my friends still think is the funniest thing ever. What I’m saying is that I luckily knew there were others like me out there, other kids who were afraid of having their insulin pumps visible, in fear that people might stare.
Even though I was so fortunate, I know there are a lot of people who are just my type, that weren’t as fortunate. So that brings us to the point of this project- to show everyone how relatable their crazy and embarrassing diabetic experiences are. You’re Just My Type reaches out to the most inspiring and extraordinary Type 1 diabetics, chronicling their struggles, challenges, and victories of every day life. My hope is that you learn from and become just as inspired meeting these people as I have.

Okay, now that I have your attention….

I attended a program for photojournalism right out of high school and I have been left with this burning desire and commitment to change the world with my photographs.

After coming home, I needed to find a project I was passionate about and could relate to. Being diabetic myself gave me this amazing idea to start up a photography blog for kids with Type 1 diabetes, and now it’s time to make this happen!! Above is my “about” for the website. The main goal here is to create a following and eventually make these inspiring posts into a book for diabetic children across the globe to read.

But I need your help! I’m reaching out to find children (ages 4 to 15) who would be willing to let me photograph and interview them to help create this blog. I live in Long Beach, and am willing to travel all over the South Bay to meet these special humans.

My email is laurapav.photos@gmail.com, please email me if you are interested or know anybody who is. Feel free to send out my information and pass this along to anyone!

Thank you so much for your time,

Laura Pavlakovich