New Bottles of Insuling - Change in BS

Hello,

We’re in month 2 of the diagnosis with our 7-year old. Toward the end of the first month we got some pretty good stability and BS numbers ranging from 70-160 pretty regularly. Felt great. We opened new bottles of insulin (novolog and lantus) at the start of February and the BS numbers have increased somewhat significantly - ranging more in the 150-220. Anyone have experience where the meds are that inconsistent? I have read a bit about the honeymoon phase but it seems oddly coincidental to have had the BS change with the new bottles of insulin.

Hi, we are just 13 months in but our son’s insulin needs have increased steadily since diagnosis. His age (just turned 12) has a lot to do with it, but we are having to adjust his formulas weekly to keep him in range. Are you sending his BS numbers to the Dr. and getting feedback and adjusted ratios? I was able to take a class at our hospital and then make all the adjustments on my own, just keeping our Dr in the loop on the changes we make. If you experience a honeymoon, the insulin needs go down during the period and you start seeing a lot of lows. We have not had any bad vials of insulin, but we do make sure we keep it refrigerated before opening and never using the same for longer than 30 days. I hope this helps, it does get easier.

Hi @sboraz318,

I can imagine what you are probably going through in caring for your child; welcome [regretfully] to this “wonderful world” of T1D. It is very remotely possible that opening new insulin vial could be causing increase in BG/BS levels, but that probably is NOT the cause unless you’ve changed types or brands of insulin.

T1D is an ever changing condition - you will eventually come to realize that just when you think everything [foods, insulin, activity, emotions] are in perfect balance her/his numbers will unexpectedly read either high or low. There will be much you will learn by observation and frustration as the years go on; now in my 59th year I’m still learning. And as akhall14 suggests, you will learn to make very informed decisions and gradually change ratios. And YES, it will get much easier.

Good luck to you and your child, and please stay in touch.

Dennis and akhall14,

Thanks very much for your quick feedback and support as well. Damn this T1D – kinda like kids themselves - ever changing.

ATB,

Steve

I completely understand your feeling confused about the change in numbers. My son has been T1 for 6 years and this is part of the craziness of this disease. Numbers will unexplainable fluctuate. I have never experienced bad insulin as long as it is properly taken care of. There are so many factors that make their blood sugars change. Sickness, stress, exercise the list goes on. The best ypu can do is monitor and make changes to ratios. At first we called our endo a lot but once we got the hang of it we made the changes ourselves. If we try and things still aren’t working then we contact our endo and find out what he thinks we need to do. It’s a team effort. Nothing is perfect and you just keep trying and fixing. Don’t always expect to stay in range because you will just keep beating your self up. I’m not saying don’t try but don’t blame yourself either. T1 is so unpredictable and frustrating and unfair at times. It does get easier as you progress which I know sounds crazy now. Good luck and stay connected!

Welcome to an unpredictable new world. There are a large number of grizzled veterans on this site and virtually all of us will tell you that it’s rarely easy but it’s not impossible. I’m on the same meds as your child and I would be extraordinarily surprised to hear that there was a quality control problem with either one of them. If you hang around these sites, you will hear lots of complaining about the price of insulin, but very little about poor quality. The improvements over my 55 year run are remarkable and I’m grateful for them.