New cook

Hello all,

So I'm new to juvenation but really excited about connecting with other diabetics.  I'm newly married and also a new found cook.  Unfortunately my favorite recipes are not the healthiest ones and a lot of them come from Paula Deen (butter!).  Does anyone have some good, healthy and tasty recipes to share?

Welcome to Juvenation!

It's actually pretty easy to modify the recipes you currently like to use. I can help you with that if you're interested. If you want to post the recipes or send me a message, I can tell you how to change them. :o)

Glad you found us!

I have a cook book, How to Cook Everything, and I use that all the time.  If needed, I improvise some ingredients or use less sugar/butter, etc.  My favorite recipe is making homemade bread for dinner.  My family(children, husband, and even parents) love it.  My sister uses it as sandwich bread the next day.

3 cups flour; 1 pack of yeast;  1 Tablespoon honey; 1 cup milk; 1 teaspoon sal; 3 eggst.  Add everything together, if needed, add more milk.  It should become a dough ball (not too sticky).  Use oil or butter to grease another bowl.  Transfer the dough into this bowl, keep covered in a dark place for @ 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Dough will rise.  Grease the bottom of a cookie sheet.  Preheat the oven to 350. OPTIONAL: Take 1 more egg and use the yolk + 1 teaspoon water and put it on top of the dough.  Now bake the dough for @ 40 minutes or until the top is golden and ready to serve.

I also use the crock pot alot.  I usually put in a roast, potatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, salt.  i start this on high @ 9 am.  I either use pre-canned gravy or water with this.  I check it @ 1 pm if I can and will usually trurn the heat to low by at least 3pm.  It is ready to serve by 5pm or sooner.

Hi! If you go to Groups - there are a Diet/Nutrition and a Recipe Swap group that you could join.

Cooking your own food is awesome because you know what your putting in your body.

Most times you can use low-fat dairy instead of full fat in recipes. Be careful though about using fat free - it often won't work. (They sometimes put stabilizers in those and those break down weirdly and grossly during cooking.)

I'd always prefer to use butter than margarine. Though if I'm frying/sauteing, I almost always use olive oil.

I LOVE Cook's Country Magazine. They test all the recipes a ton of times to work out all the kinks and explain all the steps really well. Get a subscription either to the website or the magazine or both. If you are new cook, that would be a great resource. The recipes are usually "American" but from all over the US and I love it.

Here is a good source: 

www.happydiabetic.com