New Member here…

Hi everyone. Just exploring this forum as my 10 year old son was just diagnosed today… needless to say it’s been a long day and I’m exhausted but cannot sleep. I’m scared for him and sad. We go to the endocrinologist tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect… the idea of a lifelong diagnosis is so daunting. Realistically I know this is a manageable disease I’m just wrestling with trying to stay positive for him but feeling so utterly overwhelmed, guilty and helpless. I suppose this is normal to some degree(I hope)
I know I will pull it together for him. It’s just been a day! Look forward to many helpful interactions here. I know I’m going to have lots of questions so thanks in advance.:blue_heart:

1 Like

Hi @MBathg8 . Welcome to the forum and the club no one wants to belong to. Some of the forum members have been living with diabetes for decades (I next year will be 60 years for me!), and are doing well even though we didn’t have the great technology available for many years. I’m not a parent, much less parent of a child with diabetes, but from what I read on the forum your feelings are perfectly normal. There’s no need to feel guilty - diabetes is an autoimmune condition which means that for some reason our bodies turn against themselves: there’s likely nothing you could have done to prevent it but you and your son can focus on the present and the future - having diabetes doesn’t have to hold him back.
Take a deep breath as you go to the first endo visit, and take a pen and paper so you can take notes. You’ll have plenty of questions so write then down so you don’t forget to ask. Hopefully your endo specializes in Type 1, and specifically in children. You’ll both want to have a good relationship with him or her, as your son will be seeing them for years to come. It’s great if they have a diabetes nurse educator (diabetes care and educating educator is the new term) on their staff (if not they week refer you) as you may be working closely with them for education and training. There’s lots to learn and the learning curve is steep, but if you read the posts under the Parents topic you’ll find moms and dads who started off just like you, who have grown in their own confidence, and in confidence for their child. Kids are resilient and it seems some of them adjusted faster than their parents did. I do wish I had learned to be me deliberate about my health as a child: growing up in the 60s and 70s without technology, I was pretty active but that didn’t sick with me in later years. So this is a good time to encourage him in good practices that will last a lifetime.
I encourage you to read the book Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner to supplement your learnings with the endo. The author has Type 1 and works in the diabetes field.
All the best to you and your son - please keep us posted on how you both are doing. :heart:

1 Like

Hi Michelle,

I am not a parent but I was diagnosed almost a year ago as a T1D at the age of 57! I understand your fears and frustrations.

The first thing I will say - it is ok to be sacred. This is a huge change for you, your son and your family. Things will be rocky for a while. You/your son will have good days and bad days. As someone who recently went through this, I know how frustrating this disease can be. I became so terrified of going low that it impacted how I was eating/living my life. Once I got through the pity party I threw for myself, I realized I need to live my life the best I can and figure out what went wrong, fix it and move forward.

I will also say, don’t let the fear overwhelm you because there is great technology out there to help support your son during his journey. We live in a great age of medicine and as you will see from this forum, there are folks here who have lived with T1D for decades.

For me, the best thing I did was to create a log on what I ate, my dosage and my numbers after 2-4 hours of eating. You will start to see a pattern in what your son eats and how his body reacts. There will be days, that his body will respond differently than expected but make a note of what changed in his day.

Lastly, use this forum (all parts of it) because it is a great community - wonderful support, helpful ideas/suggestions and great insight into living a T1D life.

Take care and keep us posted on how your all are doing.

MF

Hi Michelle,

I was diagnosed at age 11 and have been living with type 1 for 14 years now (I am 25). There are many aspects of diabetes management that are challenging for t1 diabetics, but with the right attitude and support your son will be okay. My advice to you as his parent is to never assume and to always be open, transparent, and willing to learn from him on this journey. Be considerate of his mood as it relates to his glucose levels because diabetes is as much a physical disease as it is psychological. Be there for him when he is low, high, and in range. Do not shame him if he makes a mistake. Ask questions. Accompany him to the endocrinologist’s appointment but also give him the space and privacy when he needs it to go inside the doctor’s office alone - because eventually, he will need to take full ownership of his diabetes management. Reinforce him with positive messages: tell him he is capable of taking care of himself and doing everything he wants to do in life.