New member here

Hi,

I am a new member to this group, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes back in Dec. of 2001 but the dr. had told me that I have had it for years prior to that and that the damage was pretty bad because I had gone undiagnosed for so long. I moved to Montana 4 yrs ago but I am a born and raised Jersey girl.  I am hoping to meet lots of new friends here who share the same issues as me, life as a diabetic.

you definitely came to the right spot. welcome to juvenation :o)

Welcome!

New Jersey to Montana... that sounds like a pretty drastic change, yes?  Just curious... what "damage" was your doctor referring to?  Many complications caused by Type 1 are either reversible, or at least improvable, with a time period of good control.  If you're here on Juvenation..., you'll do fine.  I've been Type 1 for 40 years, and despite numerous past complications, I'm as healthy as most 57-year-old's now.

Hi!  I am a newbie too!  Just joined and love everything about it so far!!!  What damage do you have?  I have been diabetic for 25 years now and I am starting to see some signs of retinopathy and also some slight kidney issues.  The best thing to do is stay in tight control!  I look forward to chatting with you!

Hi!  I am a newbie too!  Just joined and love everything about it so far!!!  What damage do you have?  I have been diabetic for 25 years now and I am starting to see some signs of retinopathy and also some slight kidney issues.  The best thing to do is stay in tight control!  I look forward to chatting with you!

Hi Angela,

Glad to meet another newbie:) The damages that I have are really bad neuropathy in both my feet and in my hands. I also have other medical issues to deal with that are not diabetes related. I look forward to chatting with you and all the others here.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the welcome:) Moving from New Jersey to Montana isn’t that big a deal actually since the weather is similar except that here in Montana there isn’t the humidity so when its -10* its really not all that cold. Unfortunely for me since I had gone undiagnosed for so many years the neuropathy, eye, muscle and other damage is perm. I do try to keep upbeat though despite everything cause thats the only way to be when you are also a breast cancer survivor and had open heart surgery 36 yrs ago.

Hi Miss Vampyr (might I ask you to explain the screen name?),

I had a customer and friend who moved from Bloomington, IN to Helena, MT quite a few years back.  I've seen photos, and it is very scenic there... probably a very nice place to live.  I've had most of the same complications as you (that is, neuropathy and retinapathy), and like you, I had open heart surgery.  (Ten years ago I had a quintuple bypass.  I've also had vitrectomy surgery in both eyes.)  Unfortunately, back in the days when I was diagnosed they hadn't established a connection between control and complications yet.  Blood glucose meters hadn't come out yet either.

I do believe that it is never too late to benefit by tight control.  Further damage can definitely be prevented or at least, reduced by a combination of diet, exercise and proper insulin dosing.  When I was diagnosed in late 1970, I was told for the first time (of many times) that I had to stay healthy in order to "stick around" for the cure.  Well..., I'm still waiting 40 years later, but, nevertheless, I believe that's good advice.  Juvenation is not only a great source of ideas, but it's also the best place for the support and encouragement we all need at times.

If you haven't read Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, called "Diabetes Solution," I highly recommend you do.  Even if you only follow just a few of his numerous "radical" suggestions (his diet is tough), the book offers hope, especially with regard to reversing or minimizing complications.  Dr. Bernstein himself has had Type 1 Diabetes for over 60 years.

Hi Paul,

Ok, first let me explain the my screen name here lol. Back in early 2000 when the series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” was on tv I was totally hooked (I have all 7 seasons on dvd) and in one of the scenes a book is put on the counter and the name is Vampyr so since I loved that show it only made sense to have that be my nic. My dad had quad. bypass surgery 12 yrs ago and I had my open heart surgery 36 yrs ago on Tues. at the age of 11. I am still having good days and bad days with my diabetes and right now the neuropathy in my hands has been extremely bad. So if you have any suggestions on how to deal with the horrible pain in my hands I sure could use some advice on that one. The pain in my hands and fingers is so bad that it actually wakes me at night and keeps me in tears. Wow, its hard to imagine not having meters to check your sugars thats something that I didn’t know.

Welcome to Juvenation!!!

[quote user="MIssVampyr"]Hi Paul, Ok, first let me explain the my screen name here lol. Back in early 2000 when the series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was on tv I was totally hooked (I have all 7 seasons on dvd) and in one of the scenes a book is put on the counter and the name is Vampyr so since I loved that show it only made sense to have that be my nic. My dad had quad. bypass surgery 12 yrs ago and I had my open heart surgery 36 yrs ago on Tues. at the age of 11. I am still having good days and bad days with my diabetes and right now the neuropathy in my hands has been extremely bad. So if you have any suggestions on how to deal with the horrible pain in my hands I sure could use some advice on that one. The pain in my hands and fingers is so bad that it actually wakes me at night and keeps me in tears. Wow, its hard to imagine not having meters to check your sugars thats something that I didn't know.

[/quote]

i believe there might be a medication out now for neuropathy(?) i can't remember for sure, but i'm thinking there is something available.

have you seen the movie vampyr? it's an old silent movie from the early 1930s i believe. excellent film, especially for being before special effects and such.

Hi. I am new to this too and not even sure I am replying in the right place. I am a 45 year Type 1, since age 15. One thing I have learned is that things can get better. I had a vitrectomy (sp?) in 1987 and my vission is now excellent. I have gone through periods of neuropathy that woke me up at night but after getting myself into tighter control it improved. I believe in changing what you can and then enjoy every day to its fullest! Nice to meet all of you!

[quote user="C"]

you definitely came to the right spot. welcome to juvenation :o)

[/quote]

Welcome as well...you and C are practically neighbors!

[quote user="MIssVampyr"]Hi Paul, Ok, first let me explain the my screen name here lol. Back in early 2000 when the series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was on tv I was totally hooked (I have all 7 seasons on dvd) and in one of the scenes a book is put on the counter and the name is Vampyr so since I loved that show it only made sense to have that be my nic. My dad had quad. bypass surgery 12 yrs ago and I had my open heart surgery 36 yrs ago on Tues. at the age of 11. I am still having good days and bad days with my diabetes and right now the neuropathy in my hands has been extremely bad. So if you have any suggestions on how to deal with the horrible pain in my hands I sure could use some advice on that one. The pain in my hands and fingers is so bad that it actually wakes me at night and keeps me in tears. Wow, its hard to imagine not having meters to check your sugars thats something that I didn't know.

[/quote]

Welcome to Juvenation:)  I also have neuropathy in my arms and legs and also gastroparesis.  I haved tried a lot of different medications and have not had a lot of luck...  I am taking Amitriptyline and Gabapentin before bed, although it's taking forever to start working, I think it might be helping a little bit.  Are you on anything for yours?  Sometimes Tylenol and Motrin help a slight bit and also Tramadol helps a little bit.  In my experience so far, they all seem to help on a different level, like each one helps in it's own way...I hope you find something to help, good luck:)

HI C,

I am taking gabepentin (generic neurontin) for the neuropathy but at times the pain is jus so severe that it actually wakes me up in tears cause nothing will make it stop I just have to kinda wait it out. Now about the movie from the 1930’s your talking about its called “Nosfratu” and yes I have seen it. I actually seen it when I was in high school for and english lit or something. I didn’t like it though, I prefer the modern, hot vampires lol. If anyone wants to email back and forth just let me know.

Hi Jana,

Thanks for the info:) I have tried tylenol, motrin and aleve but they do nothing. My dr. has even tried me on lyrica and cymbalta and man alive the side effects were horrible for me. I was so wired that I didn’t sleep for the entire week I was on either of those meds. Can I ask you, are your hands, legs and body all swollen? I am so swelled up it looks like someone took me to town pump and put the airhose in my ear and filled me up its awful. I have yet to have a dr find out why I am so swelled up. So if anyone is having the same problem and have found a solution PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know. Its so awful to get up on Sunday morning to get ready for church and not be able to fit into your clothes or shoes cause your so swelled up.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the welcome ::slight_smile: Have a great day

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile: Have a great day.

Hi Barbara S.

I agree with you about just living your life as best you can. I have been doing that my entire life:) Have a great day.

Hi MissVampyr,

I had thought that your screen name had something to do with Type 1 as in the way we Type 1's are always drawing blood for testing our sugars.  Other medicines often prescribed for neuropathy are Cymbalta (the antidepressant) and Tegretol or Trileptal (both anti-convulsives used for epilepsy but also bi-polar treatment.)  I am presently on Trileptal and am finding that it is also calming my neuropathy pain.