New to the Group

Hello,
my name is TSgt Christopher J. Toms. I had just returned from a 7 month deployment in April 2012. My wife and son went on Emergency leave 25 days after my return due to her grandfather being hospitalized and given a less than 3% chance of living. In June of 2012 my then 1 year old son while on emergency leave with his mother in Michigan my son was hospitalized at Helen Davos Children’s hospital in Grand Rapids Michigan. He was seen by a local doctor in Sault Saint Marie Michigan and it was determined that he had Type 1 Juvenile diabetes. The local hospital was not equipped to handle his case and he was medevac’d to Helen Davos Children’s hospital. I was still in Alaska stationed at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson when this happened. Within an hour of me being notified of my son’s condition via The Red Cross had plane tickets waiting for me to return to the lower 48 to be with my family. Today almost 2 years later I am proud to report Luke is doing well and that is our story. Hello.

Hi @jordan0082000,

We are glad you joined us! So happy to hear that your son is doing well. I hope that you will connect with other parents here and get the support you need! If you need anything anytime inbox message me or find me around the site!

Talk to you soon!

Gina