New to the Juvenation

Hello

I am Grace's mom.  Grace has diabetes and is 6.  I am looking for ways to connect with other families that deal with this.  Please advise!

Kelly

I'm new, too, Kelly. How long has Grace had diabetes? My daughter was just diagnosed at the end of June. She's 11. I'm feeling very confident about how we're managing it medically, but sometimes struggle emotionally. How are you coping?

Heather

Hey Kelly-

We're so glad you're here.  

I've had type 1 diabetes since age 4 and am now almost 40.  No complications and I basically have peace with my diabetes, though it took a while.  I have a great husband and a non-diabetic son, a full-time job and part-time school.  

There was a great research study done recently by the Joslin Diabetes Center on people who've had type 1 diabetes 50 years or more.  It was an encouragement to me that there are a lot of people living well with diabetes.  And complications aren't inevitable.  

Back when I was diagnosed diabetes was a lot easier to manage because there weren't glucose meters, carb counting, multiple injections, and all the new technology.  But when I see pictures of myself as a kid it's obvious my blood sugar is really high.  All the modern treatments can be overwhelming and every family has to decide which are worth the hassle, but overall I'm really thankful to have diabetes now, when doctors know more and I have a fighting chance to have better blood sugars and feel good.  

Please let us know what questions you have.  I'm so sorry about Grace's diabetes, but know that she's going to be okay.

Take care.  -Jenna

Hi Kelly!

My daughter is now 13, diagnosed at 10 - and she's doing amazing. There are a lot of facebook groups for mom's. If you're interested, my favorite is T-1 Parents: www.facebook.com/.../164893113542120

Feel free to PM me anytime. We live in Sacramento, CA.

I'm so glad you both have found us! We're excited to have everyone here. I hope you are able to find answers and comfort here at Type1Nation. We're kind of like a big family :o)