No cure EVER

In health class, we are studyying autoimmune diseases and today we talked bout diabetes and my teacher askd me to shre about my experiences. AT the end of it, a boy raised his hand and said that diabetes will probably never be cured. the reaon is because soooooo many people are making a fortune off the disease. Think about it, if they cancel out diabetes, no more pump companies which will lose a lot of money. and people will stop needing strips and meters and lancets and lancing devices and glucose tabs and evrything else. Also, there would be no more fundraisers to raise money for a cure which raises thousands of dollars plus no more trips as often to the doctor for like an A1C or anything. Although I didn't like what he said, I thought it kinda made since. This disease gives doctors and scientists a fortune and it affects so many Americans so it means more money. I don't really no what to think but it kinda brought me down. Do you think that there will be a cure or that they want this disease to go on? 

I've heard this a lot but I'm still hopeful for a cure.  I mean, it's the same with cancer, AIDS, or any other chronic disease - they send money to various corporations, doctors, hospitals, and researchers.  But I honestly think that no one doesn't want a cure, they just want the money.  Anyone can get diabetes, cancer, AIDS, or any other terrible disease and by not finding cures or at least better treatments, in the long run, no one is spared or helped.  I think that government-funded research is doing a lot now though, with stem cells and other breakthrough findings.  I'm not sure how self-interested such companies and people are but hopefully they will find a cure as soon as possible. 

yea i really want a cure to and hope for 1

ooo . . . that arguement makes me really angry. Its so messed up that a cure that would benefit millions of people's lives wouldn't be persued because of the lucrative aspect of the industry.

It made me mad too, i felt like wanting to cry when he said that

Companies make billions in the diabetic field.  It is a business and the purpose of business is to maximize profits.  Same thing happens with insurance companies.  Money is being distributed for cure research but the amount could be more.  I doubt I will see a cure for type 1 diabetes in my lifetime. 

You have what sound like a wonderful teacher and a very thoughtful classmate as well. What I wouldn't give to be sitting in a class with an instructor who knew what the word "autoimmune" actually meant, with one classroom full of people who actually listened and learned and remembered that I didn't do anything to get this disease.

I happen to think that T1 will never be cured. I think the pump manufacturers and insulin makers alone make too much money off of T1's to ever mandate a cure. I really, really, desperately hope that I am wrong. There will have to be legislation to extract money grubbing insurance companies and pharma companies for any manner of cure to sound appealing to the people who have the power to ensure that one exists.

I agree with the last two posters. I don't think that there will be a cure. I hope that I am wrong and I think positively in the sense that there are scientists and universities out there that are genuinely concerned and want to find a cure. So while I don't believe that it will be here anytime soon, I do believe that there are a few people out there still really trying, and not for a profit.

I hate the thought, but it does make sense to me sometimes, especially on my more pessimistic days. I keep hoping for a cure and I suppose that's all we can do. I believe that people and humanity are better than that. If there's a cure or could be, it will come because people can't be made to live with something just because someone, somewhere is making money off their suffering. Just keep positive.

I actually never thought of it that way. But you know what? There are so many people who have diabetes or have a loved one with it. What would stop one of them from finding the cure if no one else will? Stay positive!

Pretty sure I had said something to the tune of that in a thread earlier this year when someone asked if they'll find a cure. I think they'll look, but it is a big market for diabetes $. I honestly don't believe we'll see a cure in our lifetimes, but I'm hopeful that with advancements in technology going forward, that our future generations might not have to deal with any type of serious ailments.

I believe this is a false argument for several reasons.

1) Name 5 people you actually know that put making money for themself over helping someone with a life-threatening disease. I can't say that I actually know ANYONE that is this icky of a person. Maybe I'm just lucky or choose my acquaintances carefully. But I believe that most people are better than this.

I also know scientists and technicians who work at various drug companies. These are good, honest people, who do actually want to find cures for diseases.

2) I work in medical device. There are PLENTY of diseases to be treated if a cure is found for Type I diabetes. I'm fairly confident that companies make more money off of Type 2s than Type 1s anyway - as T1 is only 10% of the diabetic population. That's leaves a pretty big market to continue to sell test strips, insulin, etc too. Maybe fewer pumps - but that is just a matter of time until they prove that a pump helps control T2 BGs too. And I believe that because the cause of T1 and T2 are different (one is no insulin production, two is poor insulin use) that the cures will be VERY different.

An example of a disease that has been eradicated is Polio. Do you think people wish that people still got Polio so that they could sell more leg braces, wheelchairs and crutches? No - it is better for everyone when a crappy disease is eliminated.

3) Why would insurance companies not want a cure? Diabetics are a huge drag on their bottom line. They want more healthy people and less chronic diseases - in other words more money coming in and less likelyhood of money going out.

4) Don't you think companies would be able to make huge profits off of a cure? Wouldn't you pay just about anything to be cured? I think there is plenty of money to be made.

Sorry if this sounds angry - but this kind of pessimistic, intentionally exploitative view of the world really irritates me and I do not believe it to be true.

Kelsey,

woahhh ive never thought of it that way.. but im still staying strong and hoping for a cure!!!!!

JDVsMom took the words right out of my mouth.  Many people see a pharmacy full of diabetic products and no cure, thus jumping to the conclusion that there is no interest in a cure.  Perhaps it is easier to see short-term gains or results from treatments geared toward improvements in control and quality of life.  If it were easy to find a cure, there would already be one.  Concerning researchers, I'm tired of hearing the "pocket professor" argument that academics exist to protect companies.  Many academics hate business, which is why they stay in academia where they can research what they want.  It may be hard to believe, but just as most students are honest, most researchers are honest, and many are more interested in truth than money.

Ditto.

But I think we clearly have to continue to be the force to push companies to make advancements.  We are only 10% of the diabetic population.  But I think from a policy perspective, we present a more "compelling" case than T2s.

[quote user="JDVsMom"]

I believe this is a false argument for several reasons.

1) Name 5 people you actually know that put making money for themself over helping someone with a life-threatening disease. I can't say that I actually know ANYONE that is this icky of a person. Maybe I'm just lucky or choose my acquaintances carefully. But I believe that most people are better than this.

[/quote]

I don't think I can name 5.  However, it's not too hard to imagine this is happening.  The tobacco companies continued to say that tobacco didn't cause cancer even though documents have been uncovered showing they knew all along it did.  They certainly took profit from causing people to be less healthy.  Look at how insurance and pharmaceutical companies are fighting health care reform even though it could mean better health for a lot of people.  Why are they doing it?  Because they can sell more medicine and supplies to sick people than they can healthy people.

I think someday it might be cured.  I also think there are a lot of good people working to find a cure.  I wish them the best. I'm just not holding out much hope for the 5-10 year window I've been hearing about for the last 33 years.

I believe the only way people will be cured is if they travel abroad.  I have found that typically in other countries they are much more interested in keeping people healthy than on the verge of life n death!

Check out this private stem cell company: Xcell center.

They take a sample of your own marrow and then generate stem cells to personally treat you.

Okay, so input people please!!!!

I informed my doctor about my great interest in this.  So, she is going to test me in 3 months to see if I have diabetes antibodies.  These are the antibodies which are typically active in T1s that attack the beta cells which make that groovy stuff called insulin, haha.  She said that if they do not find any antibodies that I might be a good candidate for this stem cell therapy.....   WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK, INPUT??

Also, would you put a price tag on your cure??  They charge approx. $9,000 euro.  This does not include your travel plans.  There is no price for me.  I will pay whatever it takes!!!!!!!!!

as hard as it is to say... I have no idea if it will ever be cured. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a cure, we all would.  But in reality, like people are saying, there is way too much money to be made off of diabetes and other diseases.  I beleive there are more medical advances than we know about out there for this reason alone.  And as weird as it sounds, you hear a lot of things on populaion control, and thats what Diseases are and people have more control over the population than we think they do.  Medical advances are out there, but as far as these people in charge of how all these things work, I dont think they want to have this stuff released just yet.

Its kind of like the car business, there is cars that dont run on gas, there is cars that are great for the environment, but they dont build a lot of them because oil companies will lose money.  I read a story some where a few years back about a guy who had a plan and a prototype of a car that ran off water or vegitable oil ( cant remember all of it ) but basicly he gave it to one of the car companies and they paid him for it, then destroyed everything so it wouldnt be made. 

as sad as it is, this country is ran off of money, and there are a lot of greedy people that dont want to help make great changes.  I am always going to walk and raise as much money and do whatever I can to help with diabetes. Im going to always stay hopeful, but realistic.

[quote user="Andrew"]

as hard as it is to say... I have no idea if it will ever be cured. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a cure, we all would.  But in reality, like people are saying, there is way too much money to be made off of diabetes and other diseases.  I beleive there are more medical advances than we know about out there for this reason alone.  And as weird as it sounds, you hear a lot of things on populaion control, and thats what Diseases are and people have more control over the population than we think they do.  Medical advances are out there, but as far as these people in charge of how all these things work, I dont think they want to have this stuff released just yet.

Its kind of like the car business, there is cars that dont run on gas, there is cars that are great for the environment, but they dont build a lot of them because oil companies will lose money.  I read a story some where a few years back about a guy who had a plan and a prototype of a car that ran off water or vegitable oil ( cant remember all of it ) but basicly he gave it to one of the car companies and they paid him for it, then destroyed everything so it wouldnt be made. 

as sad as it is, this country is ran off of money, and there are a lot of greedy people that dont want to help make great changes.  I am always going to walk and raise as much money and do whatever I can to help with diabetes. Im going to always stay hopeful, but realistic.

[/quote]

And I thought I was cynical LOL!!  Although I do think there is a huge incentive for companies to not cure diabetes or asthma or a host of other diseases, i won't go so far as to say there are cures on the shelf that they refuse to release to protect the bottom line.  I can't go that far.  Do you have any proof or respected documentation on any of this?  If so, I'd love to see it.  A link perhaps?

I must say that I have had this conversation with my doctor.  He actually is the one who told me that he HONESTLY thought there would be a cure BUT it would take longer because the LACK of money and attention T1s get.  He says because there are so many T2s that more money and research has been directed toward that research.  However, with all of that being said, the test trials they are doing in Europe for some of the Artificial Pancreas' and things like that look really promising.  I am still going to be optimistic.  Only because I don't want to be Eeyore.  That is the best example I can think of!