No One Understands

today at school I was just kind of ranting about diabetes to some friends. They said, "I understand." I got so mad because you know what, NO they dont. So people who dont know dont try and say you do.

Anyone can get annoyed in this type of situation.  We are human.  However, we don't understand everything others go through as well.  I personally don't think it's a good idea to have a victim mentality like that.  Not only will it push others away it will also make a person look emotional.  Emotions aren't bad but emotions also are not facts.  Does anything happen to the person you "think" did something or does something happen to the person that did do something?  Getting angry or annoyed with someone who "understands" is similar because you are putting false intentions on them.  Maybe they just didn't know what to say.  I can also understand wanting a listening ear to vent frustrations but you can't put those expectations on just anyone.  The average person is motivated by self interest.  Person A is looking to vent to Person B and Person B is not interested in listening to Person A.  Both are motivated by self interest.  My advise is to know who you can really talk to about things and give the others a break.  Sure they don't understand but you can't force it on them either, it's their choice.  It will help you know who truly cares about you.

I so understand what your saying..I hate when people do that to cause no they dont understand until they have it and go through what we go through each day lol..I mean i dont really get mad at my friends when they say that cause i know they are trying to helo me and make me feel better but i also know they dont understand what it feels like..thats why i like to have diabetic friends cause they do know what we feel like and they can say i understand lol
Hope everything gets better :)

I agree with Kellie. Getting upset with someone over that is just going to push people away..and then who will listen when you need to vent?

Sometimes people say "I understand" because they don't know what else to say and they think that's what you want to hear...or they know how frustrating this is for you, because they see you deal with it daily. It's not necessarily them saying they understand what you go through from a personal or physical perspective, but from a friend watching another friend struggling or dealing with something.

[quote user="brennabee1999"]

today at school I was just kind of ranting about diabetes to some friends. They said, "I understand." I got so mad because you know what, NO they dont. So people who dont know dont try and say you do.

[/quote]

What would be a response that would make you happy?

they might not understand your exact situation because they aren't diabetic, but they can understand your emotions and feelings of frustration, anger, sadness... everyone has experienced those at some point. so, no - they don't understand what it's like to be a diabetic everyday. but yes - they do understand how you feel.

"I understand" means lots of things. It means "I see your struggle," "I hear your frustration," "I feel connected to you and am trying to comprehend." Your friends just told you "I am doing my best to empathize with you and your struggles in life." That is all that we can do as people, we can try to understand. In many ways even as fellow diabetics we do not understand each others struggles because they are all unique. All we can do is try.

So try and cut your friends some slack.