Normal?

Well after too much diet Mountain Dew and not sleeping, I was just thinking. Yea, I know that can cause trouble. LOL

Here's my rant I guess. Normal that's what they told me I could live when I was dx'ed. I am telling the world right now BULL POOP!!!!!! I was dx'ed at age 52 and I remember normal. Normal Isn't getting up in the morning and right after the bathroom the next thing I do is my diabetes routine. I bet you know what I am talking about. First the lancing of the finger, too see how I am doing, then there's the meds. I take aspirin, a statin for cholesterol, some other thing for blood pressure(which I don't have) and something to help quiet smoking. Then after all that comes my favorite part, playing dart board with my body.

So somebody tell me HOW that's fricking normal!!! I go to the store and get food, now I look at all the labels and think is this worth injecting and eating. Now I choose salad instead of fries, veges instead of rice. I never did these thing before dx'ed. I just ate food for taste, so again I ask, How is this normal???? Normal is getting hungry and eating a whole bag of corn chips and bean dip, a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's (Cherry Garcia, etc...) or how about a whole bag of Oreo's with two huge glasses of milk, that's normal, not six cookies, a small glass of milk and six units of insulin stabbed into my stomach.

I guess it gets to me sometimes. Now diabetes affects every part of my life now, I can't eat, sleep, drive and whatever without this major pain in the butt!!!! Just writing this makes me cry, grieving over my past life!!! 

It's like that story of the King with the sword hanging from a silk thread over his head. Everyday for the rest of my life I know I would be dead if not for insulin, that's my sword and it's just getting to me.

I shout to the world. THIS  IS NOT NORMAL!!!!!!!   Don't tell me it is!!!!! I think I need some sleep, Oh, how do I know it's sleep and not something else, because I am Diabetic Type 1  and my blood sugar was 106. That's normal. ROFLMAO

i'm as normal as they come. (that's a laughable statement)

stabbing yourself and making yourself bleed are not 'normal' activities. but aside from those things, i feel i lead a normal life and have the ability to do things everyone else does. at the same time, in a society that craves independence and the 'unique' in everybody, what IS normal and why should i bother to be it?

i went to school, did well, am applying for jobs, have a family, friends, like puppies, enjoy laughing, organize my apartment repeatedly to avoid homework, watch movies, write stories, read books, go for bike rides, and i poke myself multiple times a day. even though i don't strive to be 'normal' i feel like i can live the life of everyone else.

our experiences with diabetes are extremely different, so i am unable to see the world from your point of view... diabetes is all i know. i don't remember much before it, so for me, it's a part of me, a part of my daily routine... diabetes IS normal for me. it's almost always been there and it always will be. what won't be normal is the day i don't have diabetes. i'm not sure i'd know what to do then.

all in all, whatever 'normal' is, is in the eye of the beholder. to us on juvenation, keith, you are normal - you are just like the rest of us. we appreciate what makes you different from us and share what makes us similar. don't hate what makes us all the same because then you'd be hating a little piece of each of us. (there's a way to think about it....)

This is why I like this site.  Keith...i completely agree.  I have been doing this for 20 years...and I feel it is not normal!!  When you are with so many other people who do not have to deal with this stuff !! You feel "they are normal".  No one on the outside understands how that feels!! But, on the other  hand, what C said is totally true!!  I do all the things that all these other people are doing, and the have no idea that I look at them as so much more "normal" than me!!!  Only here can people understand what I just said!! 

I am not alone

Keith,

You had more than 50 years of "normal" and you developed lots of habits and a lifestyle that didn't involve diabetes. And you've had to change all those habits after they had become ingrained for 50 years. Most of us T1s started at a much younger age, and it was much easier for most of us to get used to the new habits that were inflicted on us.

Tom

Keith -  

have you considered a pump? I was diagnosed last year, at 19, and it was certainly not 'normal'. the amount of time i had to spend thinking about whether i was willing to inject for this, or whether i needed to have a snack to keep from going low, was certainly not 'normal'. Since going on the pump, i feel a lot more normal.

Of course, healthy eating is a struggle (but that is normal!), but when i can eat and just punch a few buttons, i feel less like a dart board and more like a person. I was really hesitant about the pump, but i hope now i never have to go back - carrying something on me 24/7 is totally worth it (to me) for the fewer lows and greater freedom.  Just something to think about.

Hate is too strong of a word. I don't hate very well. LOL I dislike that anybody has to have diabetes in any form!!!!!

[quote user="Tom"]

Keith,

You had more than 50 years of "normal" and you developed lots of habits and a lifestyle that didn't involve diabetes. And you've had to change all those habits after they had become ingrained for 50 years. Most of us T1s started at a much younger age, and it was much easier for most of us to get used to the new habits that were inflicted on us.

Tom

[/quote]

Yes Tom, you got it. From my reading type 1 can happen at any age, I just happen to be one who got it later in life. It's kind of like somebody giving you whatever you wanted then after 50 years it stops!! No reason.

You know, I gotta say, it may not be normal to have to give yourself shots, but, although in US culture these last 35 years or so it may have been "normal" to eat processed food that you purchase pre-packaged from a grocery store, but it is in NO WAY normal to do that if you look at it from the standpoint of how people eat all around the world and have been eating as long as humans have been around.

"Normal" is not eating a whole bag of corn ships with bean dip, a ton of ice cream, a whole bag of Oreos and two glasses of milk.  That's dysfunctional!  Normal is having to actually milk cow to get your milk, having to bake your cookies, and having to grow corn to make chips or whatever else from it.  That's how it SHOULD be done.  It's the complete abnormality of having such easy access to cheap, processed foods that has caused the obesity epidemic and all the related health problems (including, of course, T2). 

So when you're getting down about being "abnormal" just try to think about how, the way we live now, NOTHING is normal anymore.  This is a bizarre way to live, period -- and it's not exactly healthy.  And remember what I always say whenever people ask me if it was hard growing up with T1 -- "It was yet another thing that made me an anomaly, but at least it was kind of an interesting anomaly."

Thanks Melissa,

I like the point that normal is relative. Kind of like culture. Normal means different things to different people!!! For me my food pretty much ready to eat is normal, having to think about it is not. I was thinking about getting back to the basic design of people. Omnivore we eat everything. LOL

No, *I* was thinking about getting back to the basic design of people.  "Omnivore" means you eat both plants and animals.  So, fine, do that!  Eat plants and animals, not these, as Michael Pollen would call them, "edible food-like products."  Because that "basic design of people" would NOT have you eating enormous amounts of foods processed in factories far, far, away from you using ingredients you've never heard of and cannot pronounce.  That is far from "basic" and far from "normal."  It's bizarre, and abnormal.  Normal is really NOT relative.  Cross-culturally, all people and peoples until very, very recently had to raise/grow/find their own foods and cook it themselves.  So don't get all upset about not being able to just mindlessly eat things without thinking about it.  You SHOULD think about it.  It's good and healthy and "normal" to think about it.

you bring up really interesting points, melissa. i'm sure most people don't think of food this way! thanks for making me think :o)

[quote user="Melissa"]

So don't get all upset about not being able to just mindlessly eat things without thinking about it.  You SHOULD think about it.  It's good and healthy and "normal" to think about it.

[/quote]

hear, hear!

C- love how you ended this commen!! And it is true Keith, we love you for your normalities and abnormalities as you do us.  :)

I was dxed at 18 so I remember little things of how it was to be non t1 vs now.  I am coming up on 5 years and although it sucks butt some days, other days I am able to mesh my non diabetic life with my diabetic life with no problems.   I