Not really a DIABETES pregnancy question

Hey Girls!

At work I overheard a couple women who were expecting talking about "gender selection". They were talking about the Shlette's Method (I think I spelled that correctly??). Anyways, they were saying that certain 'positions'--ahem!, diet of the mother, time of conception, etc, have an impact on the gender of your child. Some of it was sounding lagit, but I was kinda boggled that people were talking about it in a waiting room where everyone was in listening distance! I honestly don't care about the sex of my future children, as long as they are healthy, but it got me to thinking. Have you girls heard anything about this? Any evidence that it actually works? Being in the medical field, I find this kind of interesting!

--Kelly

I seriously doubt these methods have any merit.  To be true, it would mean and X-chromosome sperm moves differently than a Y-chromosome sperm or that the conditions you create during sex would either attract or repel one type of sperm.  That's just to hard to believe.

This isn't scientific or perfect, but if you want to know the likely gender of your baby, it's usually more telling to look at your husband's geneology.  My husband (and all of the male offspring of his family) have had all boys for at least 4 generations.  Big surprise that we had a son.  Of course sometimes mother nature gives you a surprise, but that's just another reminder that in parenting your kids are always surprising you.

I wonder if it is a “diabetic thing” that we just want healthy babies and don’t really care about the sex? My husband and I have decided not to find out the sex of our baby due in Jan 2012. You would not believe the people who look at me like I am a crazy person. Some people have told me they paid extra money to have the ultrasound early to find out- that is  crazy to me! Being a diabetic for 19 years, I just want a healty baby boy or girl - of course a girl that I can put in cute little dress would be fun! :)  

My husband has all men on his side of the family. His mom was 1 of 9 children, and she had ALL brothers. My husband is 1 of 3, all boys. There are absolutely no girls in his family. So we were definitely expecting a boy but lo and behold, it's a girl!! Pleseant surprise though, we are ecstatic to be having a daughter!!! First granddaughter on both sides of the family! I'm thinking she will be pretty spoiled, haha!

Interesting! In my opinion, I think it's a wild card game....my husband's brother has all boys and 1 girl and his wife had 1 boy and 1 girl and they just had a baby girl...I don't think there's any rhyme or reason. Thank you for the opinions.

Kelly, There are 5 girls in my family, and when my mom was pregnant with my youngest sister she read a book on how to choose the sex of your baby. . . needless to say she's a girl and not the boy my mom tried for. My mom's family was also all girls (3), and everything on my dad's side of the family is always even. 4 boys 4 girls, and then 10 grandson's 10 granddaughter's  . . . until my uncle adopted two girls. Some of my cousins have had babies now and so far all boys. My mom now figures all 5 of us(we're the babies of the family) will have all girls to keep the balance =) I guess we'll have to wait and see.