Omni POD

Does anyone have one or considered getting one. My daughter plans to start hers this summer. Just wanted to know what the thoughts are on this devise. Thanks

i really want to get it but there is something about insurance not covering it but when i was at my doc appt. the other week i saw a thing on bout how u can get a free sample for the omni pod and u can see if its something u really want...but im still looking into it..im real interested in it and really want it

i got 1 so if u got any questions just ask away

I currently have the Medtronic Minimed Paradigm . I have had for almost five years , but last year i was thinking about switching to the omni pod my endocrinologist did not recommend it, and i also did my own research on line. I found several stories where people were frustrated with the company that makes the supplies  I found a lot of frastruated  moms having to give their kids regular shots because of the lack of supplies , and not getting them fast enough from the company . my medtronic minimed has worked great for me . I wanted the omni pod because they say you can get it wet and swim with it along with a couple other things , but i was very disappointed after reading all the horrible stories about it and the company that provides the supplies . i hope this is of some help to you , and i suggest doing a little bit of  your research on line and with your own endocrinologist .   

ya it can get wet, but its for like showers and stuff, its probably gonna fall off if u go 2 the beach or pool with it. and i do run out of supplies sometimes which makes me have to go back 2 injections for about a week. and each INDIVIDUAL pod costs about $24. most insurance doesnt cover it because its still a relatively new product.

So how did u get on the omni pod?? im really trying to look into it and i really wanna get it

me and my parents really just picked it because it doesnt have a wire that connects the 2 pieces together, the pdm controls it and it works with freestyle test trips. but the pod is what gives me my bolus injections and it can go on my stomach, arms, or legs. another reason we picked it is that i didnt want to always have a machine hooked on 2 my pants

I did shots for 28 years and never wanted a pump because of the tubing.  I got the pod in Nov 2010.   I LOVE it.  it takes getting used to.  I had a few mechanical issues the first month, but once I figured it all out it's been great.  My husband is furious because it costs $330 for amonth supply.  I don't care, I'd rather have my pod than my husband.  haven't had issues with the company. I get mine from edgepark.  I had 6 pods not work and I called insulet and they sent me 6 new ones.  LOVE IT!!!

I have looked into getting a pump too, and I have decided on the Omnipod---it just fits my lifestyle better. I am worried about insurance covering it too...I haven heard that it is not covered, but I guess I should check with my insurance before I start freaking out! People who HAVE the Pod--did your insurance cover it???

Kelly

yea i dont like the pump becuz of the tubes and everything. in the summer time i always go back to shots becuz im always at the lake or pool or out playing sports and i hate takin the pump on and off...but the thing holding me back from getting it is tht insurance doesnt cover it and im not sure how much it is without it....

I started the process of getting one Oct 1 2010.  My doctor requires going to Advanced Insulin Management (AIM) classes.  I loved the classes, very interesting and I learned a lot.  My insurance covered a portion of the classes and then I met my $2000 deductible so when I ordered the pod it was FREE, along with ALL strips, insulin, docotrs appoinments, prescriptions for the rest of the year!!  Unfortunately that was only for 2 months.  So get started now, you could get your pod by May and have 7 months of "FREE" health care and supplies!  I just have to hit my deductible this year and I am good to go, ahouldn't take too much longer!

so should i talk to my doc about that class??? cuz that would be amazing if i can get the OMNI pod it would make things a whole lot easier for me

yea, find out what you have to do to get it.  it's worth it

As a first step, get a free sample from the Omnipod website.   Your daughter will know pretty quickly if it's the pump for her or not. 

I've used a traditional pump (Minimed 522) for many years, however the Omnipod was too big for me and the adhesive bothered my skin.  We're all different, so try it and see what you think.    

Thanks for the response. Are endo is with Cooks childrens hospital and he states he has seen good things with the pod. He does require us to take a class first. I have heard some of the bad things but also good. The consultant we have met with was great. I just that can deliver what they are telling us.

Go to there website. They will send a consultant out and you will ware one for about 48hrs to make sure you like it. I here people are having issues with insurance paying for it. My daughter is doubled coverd and we don't have to pay anything , just a lot of paper work. This was perfect for us due to she plays a lot of sports. . Good Luck

Go to there website. They will send a consultant out and you will ware one for about 48hrs to make sure you like it. I here people are having issues with insurance paying for it. My daughter is doubled coverd and we don't have to pay anything , just a lot of paper work. This was perfect for us due to she plays a lot of sports. . Good Luck

Great to hear... we are excited about it.

Go to the omni pod website. They worked with the insurance for me. They did it all and got us aproved. Sometimes its just how they word it to get something coverd. Good luck

I have the OmniPod and I LOVE it! It has helped so much! My A1C went from a 9.7 to a 6.8 in 3 months! My insurance denied me at first but I filed an appeal and got my doctors to help and after about 3 months of fighting with them I got approved for it!