Opinion on meter to buy?

Hello! I’ve gone a little crazy with testing because of being obsessed with my Dexcom data (getting better but still tested more than I should have) and I had a stint where my insulin was out of whack which caused me to test more than usual. I want to buy a cheaper meter (currently use a Meter built into omnipod) as my doctor said my insurance won’t approve more strips and I can’t get more until early March through insurance. Anyone have any suggestions on an accurate meter whose strips are cheaper to buy over the counter than freestyle? I don’t want to cheap out if my meter is going to be way off but definitely don’t want to have to spend $80 for a box of 50 strips either. I looked at good rx and didn’t see much of a difference there. Thanks for the help!

Insurances do vary but you might see if your pharmacy can do an override, or if your doctor can write a new prescription. I’ve occasionally gotten a one time override on a med and they filled it early. I’ve also purchased strips off eBay and gotten some really good deals - be sure to check the expiration date.
Someone posted this a few days ago on the forum: Free test strips/lancets.
I also have a rx for test strips - even with the G6 I do have to do a fingerstick of its warning up when I’m getting ready to eat, and I test occasionally for other reasons, so you may not have to go out of pocket.
Wishing you the best.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll ask the pharmacy about the override directly. My endo wasn’t too happy with how often I was testing which i get, but at the same time I had a fluke Dexcom sensor and like I said had a period where I really needed to do a lot of trial and error with my basal.

In my area, Freestyle seems to be the MOST expensive option. I refused to use it as my insurance only covers one brand and that’s not it.
I recommend, still use and pay out of pocket for any of the contour next meters/strips. They aren’t the least expensive but I don’t have many failures and they’re about as accurate as a home meter gets.
If your in the us, there are lots of options to get strips less than 1.60 a strip.

Thanks! I’ll take a look at that. I have heard good things about that and agree with you about freestyle being super expensive. If it wasn’t built into my omnipod, I don’t think I’d go with them either. I have to get special permission from my insurance to cover them as well.

I recently went to Rite Aid and bought a box of 50 Accuchek Guide test strips for $27. I use the G6 and when I am wary of the accuracy for some reason, the Guide is generally within 7-15 of the g6. It’s accurate. I keep my g6 in my arm and I often get compression lows regularly due to my small build. I like having the option to double check. Having cheap options without having to mess with insurance is an emotional lifesaver…

1 Like