Our daughter is spiking over 400 while in school!

Hello everyone. We are very new to this group and have a 10 yr old daughter with T1. She’s on a pump (4 mos) and Dexcom CGM as of this weekend. She is very good about counting carbs and stays in a good range. However, we’ve noticed she often has highs over 400 while in school before lunch? We suspect she might be snacking but aren’t sure. For example, this past weekend she had excellent numbers. Mon she had 70 carbs for breakfast with her bolus and off to school. By 8:00 she started climbing and by 9:00 she was over 400. We can’t figure out why this is happening. Anyone experience this with their kids?

I do not have a T1 child or grandchild and I’m not a medical doctor, but I’ve had many years of T1 experience as well as experience with kids.

My observation is that, based on weekends when she is comfortable and no one is making fun of her diabetes or her pump she has good control. On school days, might she be embarrassed if some people see her pump? Does she have a friend who feels sorry for her, doesn’t understand the complexity of diabetes who is providing her with treats - your suspicion? Either case may indicate that a little education is in order for school mates and school personnel. The “Resources” section on here has some great information; and in a couple of weeks an enhanced and expanded “Resource” will ne added.

Going back to my first observation; that she may be embarrassed by her pump and doesn’t want to appear different. She may be disconnecting her pump and secreting it in her backpack when she gets on the bus, then reconnecting it on her way home. You could ask a teacher to observe, not make a scene and correct her, and report back to you if a pump is not obvious. If it is determined that she is not wearing her pump, you need to learn “the why” and move on from there.

Please let me / us know what solution to her 400+ you follow.

Hi @Davecz,

see if it happens on the weekends, if so -> her meals and basal requirements are changing as she grows which means a pump tune up.

if not, she might be doing something (suspend, removing the pump, eating without a bolus) or she might not be doing anything, for example she might be really sensitive to stress. Stress hormones can release glycogen which can cause very high blood sugar. A nice talk about hos school is going, new teachers, new marking period, how her classmates are, may give you some clues.

good luck!

Very strange… my daughter spikes on school days as well!! But on weekends or when school is on break it is almost perfect, seriously! I had asked her if everything is ok at school. She does not have a pump. But she complains of not feeling well on school days, when I know she eats all of the same things. I do know she has complained kids staring “when she eats” or “checks” her BG. She either spikes or drops. I figured she is highly sensitive at school. Im stumped as you are.

Our daughter, now 11 and in 6th grade, was diagnosed at 10. She seems to run high at school. Part of it, she doesn’t want to be
Different and doesn’t want to test. We eat breakfast at 7 and the school has a 9 am snack. She eats lunch at 11:15. She does eat a snack and puts in carbs (but often she is not putting her # in) She wears an Omnipod and dexcom. I try to stress with her how well she is doing putting the carbs in but that she needs to put her number in for any correction. It is frustrating because we don’t have a school nurse but she is doing as well as she can managing it. Hang in there and talk to your daughter. My daughter last year would have the snack and not bolus. Likely, your daughter may be doing the same. It’s hard for them as they desperately don’t want to be different.

Hello,

Does she have a snack at school? My daughter brings a snack of jerkey to school so it has no carbs. I do have problems with teachers and her friends giving her candy. Her teacher hands candy out as rewards. My daughter now will just put it in her pocket and eat it at lunch when she gets insulin. This is hard, but she would rather do this than go to the nurse to use her meter and get insulin. I would just try to talk to your daughter. I’m sure she gets a lot of people looking at her all the time and she doesn’t want to draw more attention to herself.

Thank you all for your responses. I’ve tried posting a reply several times and couldn’t figured out what I was doing wrong. I finally figured it out. Naturally it was operator error.

We talked this over with our daughter and the school nurses. There are several reasons for the highs. Some were a result of equipment issues (Dexcom, pump, tubing etc). We have found empty candy wrappers in her lunch bag, which she claims were not hers. Hmmm. Also we think stress may play a part as some of you have mentioned. The bottom line is this is so challenging for us parents. Obviously we all love our children and want them to be safe always. We want them to enjoy school and feel as normal as they possibly can around their peers. Having to constantly nag them about what to eat, when to eat and how much to eat is so difficult to do. So we just have to remain vigilant and assure them that T1 is manageable as long as they are true to themselves.

Thank you all for the feedback. Much appreciated. Sorry for the long delay in responding.