Over patch problem

Hey guys…so I have noticed that when I take my daughters over patch off at the end of her sessions sometimes she has a horrible rash kind of like some of her skin came off with it and it bothers her for a few days, any tips on what I can do to try and avoid this from happening?

Tearing off a skin layer means that you are removing it too forcefully and/or too quickly. You donlt say what kind of over patch. if it’s a film material like Tegaderm it’s much easier to get off then if it’s like KT Tape.

KT tape can be a PITA to get off of an adult with dry skin. It’s intended to be removed after 3 days. On dry skin the longer it stays, the stickier the adhesive becomes.

A Tagaderm overpatch is designed to stay in place for up to 10 days, 3x as long as a BandAid. During that time a new skin layer will develop which is still tender. It has been kept moist under the patch. You can’t rip off an over patch as if it were a BandAid without causing some trauma.

Pretend that your child’s skin is your face. Plan to take at least as much time getting off th oatch and device as you spent applying the device and the film in the first place

Prepare by having on hand baby oil or Goof Off, some rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth or soft washcloth.

Start by seeing if you can get any part of the edge or the center cutout to easily lift slightly by gently scraping it with a fingernail toward the other edge.

For a Tegaderm patch I’d start at the cutout because there’s a layer of catheter or cannula film and gauze under it that will protect the skin as you scrape. For a fabripatch you need to start at the outer edge and work inward,

By scrape gently I mean not hard enough to leave a scratch or welt on your face. You’re trying to catch the edge of the film and make it roll back just a little.

Whether you can or not, apply baby oil or “Goof Off” to what appears to be loosest edge. Allow the oil to start getting under the patch. As it does it will soften the adhesive and let you remove the patch by pulling it parallel to the skin to toward the other edge. center. Tegaderm film is very thin and will stretch which will help it detach from the adhesive and skin below.

I have very sensitive skin and have the same issue. I take mine off in the shower, slowly. Then, I use lotion. I’ll use plain lotion right after the shower every day. But when I can find my tube of Aquaphor ointment (it always gets misplaced in my house), I’ll use that as it helps heal faster.

To add: Skin takes longer to heal when it’s dry FYI.

I use tacsol on my over patches and found it helps stop that from happening to me. It is the remover for skintac adhesive. I dont typically have issues in summer but the drier winter skin its a bigger problem.

1 Like

So my daughter has the exact same issue, she has really sensitive skin so her after “rash” would last for weeks sometimes. The nurse practitioner our endo’s office suggested Flonase (or a generic brand) as a topical on the skin and it actually works! So, we wipe the area clean with the alcohol wipe, let it dry, spray Flonase on the site and rub it in, let it dry, then put the CGM and over patch on. I’ve also found coconut oil on the skin right after removing the patch and a couple times a day after that helps her skin feel much better and heal faster.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your shares! Glad to know I’m not the only one…her skin can be very sensitive! Thanks guys!

1 Like

I also have very sensitive skin and I get terrible rashes and welts from my Omnipod. I want to thank everyone on this forum because I have tried everything and finally the thing that helped was a suggestion from a few people on this forum. First, do not use alcohol pads. Very irritating to the skin. Wash the area with soap and water then spray an allergy spray. Wait for it to dry. Currently I’m using Nasacort. Then spray a thin layer of Pepto-Bismol which counteracts the acidity in the adhesive. This has been working for me for the last few weeks!

1 Like

My husband uses SkinTac swabs before putting on his SimPatch overpatch. It serves as a barrier plus it helps the patch stay put around his Dexcom sensor for 10 days. He used it with his 7-day Medtronic sensors also. Detachol (individual swabs or in a bottle with a cotton ball) can be used to loosen the patch so it doesn’t rip the skin prior to removal. It appears that others have good ideas too. Try each one out for a few weeks. I’m confident you’ll find a solution soon! Having sore skin is no fun.

You may be doing this already, but try using something like unisolve. It will make the peeling it of easier.

I am having issues with the adhesive of libre1, skin rash starts appearing and i need to take the cgm off within few days.