Pain relief

Hi community,

What are our choices for pain relief? I have read conflicting articles about ibuprofen which is my drug of choice.

Hi @HopeFloats2020 I use ibuprofen for Misc pain. Tylenol for fever. If it’s not miscellaneous pain or lasts a few days I call a doctor. NSAID can be a problem for stomachs and if you take a lot or take them for too long but it’s been ok for me. Hope you are ok!

1 Like

We’ve given our daughter both ibuprofen and acetaminophen, depending. She doesn’t need pain meds often, thank goodness, but the handful of times she has over the six years since diagnosis, we’ve had no issues.

1 Like

@joe thanks, Joe. It has never bothered my stomach either. I was concerned it would affect blood sugar or insulin.

@srozelle thanks for the response! Good to hear.

I have never been told by a doctor to avoid NSAIDs for blood sugar reasons, only steroids (which will raise the blood sugar). Even with the steroids, you can take them as long as you’re aware that you might need more insulin than usual. I’m personally wary of opioids (not that I’ve ever needed them) because I live (and manage my diabetes) alone and want to keep my wits about me. As for NSAIDs: I’ve taken acetaminophen, Excedrin, and naproxen sodium and never had a problem with any of them. I took ibuprofen for 2 weeks once for my plantar fasciitis and I did have more high blood sugars than usual, but I couldn’t be sure if it was because of the ibuprofen or not. It didn’t help with the pain anyway, so I avoid ibuprofen now just to be on the safe side.

1 Like

I’ve used acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil), and Excedrin (acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine), depending on the type of pain. Different meds work for different pains. That’s on top of the pregabalin I’ve got prescribed for fibromyalgia. Never had a problem with any of them. (Alieve, however, gives me no pain relief but does cause side effects.)

Unfortunately, there are reports that acetaminophen can interfere with CGM readings, so I’ve been avoiding that. Medtronic said not to take it at all. Dexcom training materials say they’re pretty sure it’s not a problem for the G6 and not to worry about it. But literally the first thing they asked when I called tech support to report that my sensor readings were way off was whether I’d taken acetaminophen.

1 Like

@WearsHats thanks for the response!