Paradigm Pump Differences

Hi All,

Been some time since I last posted but, naturally, now that I have a question I’m back.
I just upgraded my 5 year old Paradigm MMT-522 pump to a newer model, the Paradigm MMT-523. I’m only a few days into using it and so far all seems OK.
I’m wondering if anyone else traveled this road and if there are any gotchas or new capabilities available on this pump I should be aware of and/or exploring. Seems just about the same to me.
Also, does anyone have information on when Medtronic is going to release to the public the pump that works both as a pump and a CGM?

Many Thanks and enjoy the holidays.

Jerry

Jerry,

I’m a little confused by your question. To my knowledge, the only difference between the 522 and 523 is the reservoir size. Also, I’ve been on an integrated MM pump since 2007.

Thanks,
Brianna

Hey @gtarpey,

The MM523 does have the capability to be a cgm as well. Here is a user guide for your 523 pump model to see all the things it has to offer: http://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/sites/default/files/library/download-library/user-guides/Paradigm_Revel_user_guide.pdf

Brianna,
Thanks for the response. As you stated, it seems like there are really very few differences between these 2 pumps. I was just asking to see if anyone had information that I had failed to see.
Thanks,
Jerry

Gina,
Thanks for responding. I can see I need to get updated on just what a CGM is and how it works because I see nothing in the documentation that speaks to what I thought a CGM does. I’ll keep researching.
Thanks,
Jerry

hey Jerry I had the 722 and now have the 723. The big brothers to the 522 and 523. the differences are new safeguards (internal device program) and a tiny amount of physical changes to the pump, for example the way the motor is fixed to the case. Picture it like upgrading your 2011 Camry with a 2014. not too much differences!

all 4 pumps above will act as a CGM receiver. Meaning if you buy the CGM sensors, the pump will continuously display your blood sugar, track blood sugar, and alarm blood sugar.

CGM = Continuous Glucose Monitoring. There’s plenty of info out there on it (see the minimed website and search for Guradian Real-Time CGM) but basically, it is a sensor needle you wear like an infusion set. The internal circuits read “interstitial fluid” glucose, and there is a radio transmitter that shoots data to the pump screen.

cheers!

Joe,
Thanks for the response and for clarifying just how CGM capable the 523 is (or is not!). I was surprised by the response telling me my new pump could act as a CGM. Now I understand better what Gina was saying.

I received the CGM when I got my first pump but as of yet have not used it. Some horror stories from my sister-in-law turned me off. I believe I’ve read that somewhere in the future Medtronics is going to introduce a device that works as both a pump and CGM. I’m looking forward to trying that when it arrives. Thanks again and we’ll speak…
Later,
Jerry