Pre T1D diagnosis for 6 y.o

My daughter was diagnosed with pre type 1 six months ago at a physical - based on testing positive for 3 antibodies and elevated blood glucose levels. She is not on insulin therapy and has an A1C of 5.7 She is on a lower carb diet. Initially at her diagnosis her endo told us she would be on insulin therapy with in weeks.
Just looking for similar experiences, advice and info on topics like food, school and emotions.
It’s been so confusing and frustrating.

@PreT1DKinderMom hi Catherine, welcome to Type One Nation and the club no one wants to be in.

I am sure the endocrinologist told you that the malfunction of the autoimmune system is not caused by anything you did, and that insulin producing cells are now being attacked by her immune system.

There are studies and trials taking place regarding lengthening the time she can make insulin, one of them are as follows:

…the prevention study at http://grassrootshealth.net/t1d We are actively recruiting, and the “cocktail” of high dose Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin D came from my friends at JDRF!

There may be other trials you can take advantage of, do not be afraid to press your doctor for information… however you must surely know that there is no cure for Type 1 diabetes…

Once she can’t make insulin anymore, then she will be dependent on synthetic insulin, which is required for the metabolism of sugar for every cell in her body except her brain… and the only way to administer insulin is by subcutaneous shot(s). She will also have to test her blood sugar regularly or continuously with instruments that are available.

Public schools have 504 medical plans and the school will make full accommodations for your daughter.

The community here is based on sharing information from people with type 1 diabetes (like me! I have 40 years experience) , and people taking care of others with type 1 diabetes so you are in the right place.

The JDRF may have a local chapter near you - you can go here https://www.jdrf.org/chapters/ and put in your zip code. The Chapters have fund raisers and it is a chance to network with others in your area.

I hope you are getting all the support you need. We are here for you.

Joe

1 Like

#ADA2019 just wrapped up. It included information about a new drug that has delayed T1D onset in some children. Now I can’t find the link, I’m sorry but research news stories about the ADA 2019 scientific sessions. Maybe your doctor can help.

Found it. Here’s a blurb from the TrialNet newsletter:
Study Confirms Positive Lasting Effects of Low-dose Thymoglobulin® in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes

Findings from a TrialNet clinical study published in Diabetes show low-dose Thymoglobulin® preserved insulin production and improved long-term blood sugar control for 2 years in people newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Thymoglobulin® is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for prevention and treatment of kidney transplant rejection.