Pregnant with Type 1 - Anyone else out there?

Hello!  I am pregnant with my third child.  I have been diabetic for almost 22 years now.  I am on the REVEL minimed pump and have been a on minimed for almost 10 years.  I am just curious to reach out to other Diabetic mommies out there!

Hello Vicky. Congrats on your pregnancy ! There is a diabetes and pregnancy group where you can find other diabetic mom's who are expecting. Also try searching pregnancy on the main page too. Good Luck to you !

I am very glad to be reading these posts and wish I found this site sooner. I had a miscarriage and was told it was due to my type 1 diabetes and I had resolved myself to the fact that I may never be able to have children and if I did I thought I may only be able to have one. Hearing you are pregnant with your third gives me hope, it has been a very rough time for me.

Hello Vicky, My name is Rose. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 21 years. I have a 5 year old son. I am trying to get my A1C at a good level so that I can get pregnant successfully again. In the past 2 years I have had 3 miscarriages. I am so blessed to have my son and hope to be able to one day have one more  :-)

Hello Nicholle, I am sorry to hear about your loss.  I had a misscarriage this last October and got Pregnant again in late December/early January.  I was told that I may not ever have children, however they were wrong.  I am happy to report I have two beautifully healthy boys and pregnant again!  Hang in there and if you don't feel success with your OB or Endo's, then change!  Hopefully you may have other options near you!

Hi, Rose!  I am so sorry to hear about your losses.  I know how hard and frustrating it is.  I can only imagine what you are going through after suffering three losses.  My current A1c is 6.3  with both my previous pregnancies I was 5.9...at the start of this, my 3rd pg, I was at 7.1 and brought it down to 6.3 within 2 months, upon finding out I was pregnant again.  I know how hard the overall management is.  I find the insulin pump to be crucial in my management, especially while pregnant and breast feeding.  I love being able to have control of the exact amount of insulin in my system.  Also, I find the CGM, continuous Glucose Monitor to be helpful in trying to lower my overall levels.  It's a bit of a hassle at first, but in the long run a great benefit.  Be positive and research your options.  Congrats on your Son!  He sounds like a very lucky boy to have such a loving mama! 

Vicky-

I wrote a discussion about pregnancy and what my Endo said vs. what my OB said and you are an example that I hope I am able to follow. My Endo said I am able to have kids just have to have them before I'm 30, my OB was very pessimistic and suggested (not in exact words) that I not get pregnant. I know he means well but women in my same position and same history are obviously having them all the time. You, for example, are on your 3rd. He said I could try for one but to know that each pregnancy takes years off my life and my complications could come on and get worse. I want 2 babies, that's it. I think you are helping show me I should try another OB, but I really love mine (minus the diabetes & pregnancy part). Ugh, its so frustrating. How come we can't just get "knocked up" with no worries?!

Have you had any issues with your pregnancies and your health?

Hi Vicky,

I'm mommy to a five month old girl and trying to get my numbers back in a safe range to conceive number two when we're ready.

I first found out I was pregnant after finding out my conception a1C was over 10. I kept my pregnancy number between 6.3 and 7.1 all pregnancy. It's now back up to 10 (amazing how quickly it goes up when your life is ruled by a tiny tyrant, lol). I had retinopathy and cataracts diagnosed while pg, but it wasn't from the pregnancy, but from ten previous years of really high numbers constantly. 

Best of luck!

Hi Nikki!  No, I am happy top report that this September will be 23 years of Diabetes for me and I have NO SYMPTIONS of complications.  My eye Dr told me that by looking at my eyes he would never guess that I was a daibetic, let alone for so long.  My kidneys are great as well!  I check my glucose often, something 24+ times per day, espcecially while pregnant.  I have and have used the CGM, but I always felt it took too long to calculate the correct number.  Mind you, I sky-rocket on occassion, even in pregnancy, but that is why I check often.  Now as my kids are small, I am with them alone all day and some nights, therefore I cannot get low or too high.  Especially when I drive.  I was also told that kids may not be in my future and my previous OB said I would NEVER be able to have children.  Now on my thrid, I just wonder if these Doctors feel the right to impose their opions on young naive patients whom trust them just so they feel in control.  Regardless, get a second opinion and do what you feel is right.  Diabetes shouldn't dictate your life, however you should dictate your diabetes. Take control and win.  Get the life you want!  I have no regrets, beside waiting so long.  I am now 32 and I worry about the typical age-related issues with maternity, i.e. genetic diseases are more common in older mothers like down syndrome, heart issues, etc...  but most doctors suggest testing for such things like genetic issues at 35 years.  I just get paranoid being already high-risk.  Long story short, do what you feel is right.  Get healthy as possible so you are as strong as possible during pregnancy and after!  Diabetes is the hardest caring and chasing around kids, keeping up with them and a house.  I honestly preferred to sit at my desk behind a computer than all the 24/7 work I do now as a full-time mommy! lol!

I wish you the best and all the luck in your future!

Vicky

p.s.  I just found out that I am having a girl!  We already have 2 boys so this is so exciting!!!