Prenatal Vitamins

Hey Ladies,

I looking for information about prenatal vitamins. I’m not trying to get pregnant at this moment but we did have a ‘scare’ last month so I figured I would start taking prenatal vitamins just to be safe.

What did you take? Did you get a prescription for them or buy them over the counter?

Thanks so much!

@jfarmer22,

I used the gummie prenatal vitamins from Target. But, I was already pregnant. Also, you can get Folic Acid prescribed. They usually start you on them before you become pregnant.

@jfarmer22,

I used the gummie prenatal vitamins from Target. But, I was already pregnant. Also, you can get Folic Acid prescribed. They usually start you on them before you become pregnant.

I’m taking PregVit folic 5 which is two daily pills (one AM and one PM) including the folic acid. It’s more expensive and you need a prescription, but it’s thankfully covered by my work’s medical plan.

But I’m also pregnant and didn’t start taking them until afterwards and I’m in Canada, not sure if they have them in the States but it’s probably pretty likely. :slight_smile:

If you’re thinking you might get pregnant or planning on starting to try, I’d talk to your doctor about what vitamins you should be taking and anything else you should be doing. We didn’t plan at all and it was a surprise so I didn’t start getting on top of what I needed to be doing until I was already 6 weeks along.

I’m not pregnant yet, but in talking about a future pregnancy my doctor just told me to take a multivitamin that contained folic acid. He said any over the counter variety was fine.