Pump decision

@Dennis . thanks for pointing out the need for a course correction. @6yGodsGr thanks for the opportunity.

Doing deep dives in collateral and subordinate topics makes diabetes such an easy topic for full spectrum writers. Adding inclusion of the subordinate assures fear of exclusion doesn’t see the light of day.

I believe a new communications term may raise flags, “broad spectrum” coverage…

Thanks, Dennis, I will work on narrow band communication…

Some of us (cough cough, hack hack) sometimes stray a bit off of the original topic with info that is still important, and I’m grateful to the forum moderators for redirecting the discussion rather than shutting things down. So I would just like to say “thank you” to the moderators.for their service.
There I go - off topic again!

1 Like

Hi! Omnipod will provide a sample “dummy” kit for your spn. Csll them and talk with a representative. I felt it was a bit bulky snd learned that it was not coverex by Medicare. But it is a great concept!

@CaroleE Welcome Carole to the JDRF TypeOneNation Community Forum! Tannk you for your first post.

Although I’m a Medicare Beneficiary I do not use Omnipod, but I do believe that the pods are covered by Medicare Part D - the prescription section of Medicare, and, after a quick glance, they appear to be covered by my UHD Medicare Advantage. I suggest that you bring your Medicare cards to your pharmacist and check if you are covered.

1 Like

Hi Sarah,

I know I am late getting to this, but I did a free 3-month trial with Omnipod about a year and a half ago. I was on a new insurance plan and had been told my Tandem pump wasn’t covered. Omnipod was, and when I called to ask about giving ti a try I let the rep know that I wasn’t sure if I wanted Omnipod or not. He suggested I do a 90 day trial. With this, Insulet provided me with enough working pods to last me 90 days. They set up a training session for me with someone in my area (yoiu can also do the training online, but I prefer in-person) and I was on the “pod” for the next month or two. I didn’t keep using them because my doctor was able to get my pump covered by my new insurance, but that’s a whole other subject! So, give Insulet a call and find out what the options are for your son!

Pam K.
T1D 58.5 years and counting!

Thanks Dennis! Yes…i will do that . Do you use the Omnipod? Do you like it? Any detaills?

I suggest doing both on-line and human training: after the online I still had a number of questions and things that needed clarification, and my trainer appreciated the fact that I did both - the two complemented each other, and I reached out to my trainer for a while afterwards for continued support.

No Carole @CaroleE I don’t use the OmniPod; I use the Tandem t-Slim x2 system with the G6 monitor - an awesome system.

I am a middle age adult recently diagnosed with T1d. After several months of using a CGM and insulin pens, I went to Dexcom and Omnipod. I have been very happy with the decision. Bolusing is much more discrete and so simple with a pump. The pod does not bother me at all. I am careful with the placement so I don’t lay directly on it for sleeping, but there are many placement options.
I didn’t want to deal with tubing and so happy I made this decision. My glucose readings have been much improved with the pump.
I can’t imagine being a young person dealing with all this, so my experiences might not be the answers he needs for his concerns, but this system has made living with T1d much more manageable for me.
Ps - I was given a dummy pod to try which did help.