1) Do you feel comfortable leaving your child with a babysitter? yes.
2) Are you uncomfortable because your babysitter does not know very much about diabetes? no but I would feel uncomfortable if they didnt do what i said regarding food and blood sugar checks.
3) Do you ever leave your child with a babysitter? yes
4) If not, is it because your child is diabetic?...
5) Would you like to see a babysitting company that was well trained in diabetes care? yes
6) If such a program existed would you feel comfortable using a babysitter? yes
I talk to the babysitter about the symptoms to watch for. And I give a list of free foods he can eat.
Then I call every hour - and my older son checks my younger sons sugars. If he is high or wants to eat something I get the babysitter on the phone and we walk through a bolus. I can hear the beeps from the PDM and the beeps when the insulin goes in. Then I know I am good for a while longer. Texting works good too.. then I dont have to call and its comforting to know where he is at. Also when he has a Dexcom sensor on the babysitter can see if he is going too low or too high easily.
I leave for a maximum of 3 or 4 hours.
Its been great.