Question for parents of children with diabetes

1) Do you feel comfortable leaving your child with a babysitter?

2) Are you uncomfortable because your babysitter does not know very much about diabetes?

3) Do you ever leave your child with a babysitter?

4) If not, is it because your child is diabetic?

5) Would you like to see a babysitting company that was well trained in diabetes care?

6) If such a program existed would you feel comfortable using a babysitter?

We have left our daughter Casey with babysitters and family since her dx in Jan., but only after we have trained them.  There are also a few family friends that we've left her with that have experience in the field because of their jobs.  I would love for a company to do training for diabetes, as long as it's being directed towards Type 1 and not just Type 2. 

well i wrote this post and then discovered a company that does provide babysitters! It is a nation wide company and is aimed towards type 1 diabetes. here is a link. www.safesitters.com

correction its http://www.safesittings.com/

1) Do you feel comfortable leaving your child with a babysitter? NO-

2) Are you uncomfortable because your babysitter does not know very much about diabetes? No sitter with diabetes experience

3) Do you ever leave your child with a babysitter? No-

4) If not, is it because your child is diabetic? It is because there are no sitters that a trained in diabetes care.

5) Would you like to see a babysitting company that was well trained in diabetes care? absolutely!

6) If such a program existed would you feel comfortable using a babysitter? yes

Quick Reply

1) Do you feel comfortable leaving your child with a babysitter? yes.

2) Are you uncomfortable because your babysitter does not know very much about diabetes? no but I would feel uncomfortable if they didnt do what i said regarding food and blood sugar checks.

3) Do you ever leave your child with a babysitter? yes

4) If not, is it because your child is diabetic?...

5) Would you like to see a babysitting company that was well trained in diabetes care? yes

6) If such a program existed would you feel comfortable using a babysitter? yes

I talk to the babysitter about the symptoms to watch for. And I give a list of free foods he can eat.

Then I call every hour - and my older son checks my younger sons sugars. If he is high or wants to eat something I get the babysitter on the phone and we walk through a bolus. I can hear the beeps from the PDM and the beeps when the insulin goes in. Then I know I am good for a while longer. Texting works good too.. then I dont have to call and its comforting to know where he is at. Also when he has a Dexcom sensor on the babysitter can see if he is going too low or too high easily.

I leave for a maximum of 3 or 4 hours.

Its been great.

Hi I know this is an old topic but I thought I would give my two cents about the whole thing. I am a babysitter of a type one diabetic. I had no prior knowledge of how to care for a diabetic until her parents trained me. I give insulin injections, count carbs and test her. I am very comfortable with doing all of these things. Initially for the first few times I was worried I would hurt her and she would lose trust but we had no issues. I often prepare meals and will have to calculate correction insulin and well as insulin coverage for the meal itself.  It has worked out really well and outside of their family, I am the only person the parents will leave their child with. If I have any questions at all I contact the mother and she'll answer my question but it is rare that I have to do that. I can completely understand a parent being reluctant to leave their diabetic child with a sitter due to the seriousness of their condition, but I think that if you are able to find someone very responsible and willing to be trained, I would take advantage of that opportunity.

We're new to this to, so we haven't used a babysitter to. I would never use a service, because I wouldn't trust someone I didn't know personally. We've been talking about using the one we used to before my daughter got sick, but that we would stay in town, train her to check her sugar, and not go out until after dinner and shots are done for the night. It's a good starting point. 

My mom watches my kids during the day. 

Annie115....i wish i could press a like button, but, its nice you are willing and involved!!  I am not a parent of a diabetic, i am one! But with two children, it is nice to know that no matter what the problem there are responsible people to help!!  Thanks

There are only two people I trust to babysit my son. and that is because they have seen me do everything and they ask questions and Hunter feels comfortable with them.  Have said that we do not have sitter often and I am nervous leaving him and call many times.  I also would not leave him over a meal time cause then a sitter would have to give insulin and I would be too scared that they would give the wrong dose!  I am a "little" over protective of him!!! But I know that and I am ok with it! and so is my Husband! 

Hi Alicia-

When emalie was diagnosed she was only 18 months old.  she is 2.5  now, and it is still difficult for me to leave her with anyone for long periods of time. When my husband and I do decided to have a date night or need some time alone, i have my step mom or my mom watch her.  b/c she was so young when she got diagnosed, she was and still is really sensitive to her insulin correction that it makes it really difficult to manage at times.  my husband and i have actually thought about starting a babysitting group the focusing on diabetic kids.  I know I would feel a little more at east knowing that I am leaving my chid with someone that has experience dealing with kids like emalie. 

Do you think it would make you feel comfortable if you initially trained someone, then had them come over several times and have them there to deal with situations they may encounter (i.e. you could oversee everything they did. When it was time give insulin, have them calculate it and you check it, when they test them watch them test, etc. If their BGs low, don't say anything but wait for them to react so you can see that they are fully prepared for most situations. Another idea I have thought of is create a "test" of some sort. Write out different scenarios and have them respond. Even carb counts to convert insulin to.) It ultimately comes down to your level of comfort but I think if you monitored the sitter for awhile and were able to see them handling things correctly you may be more at ease. These people aren't trained because they have never been given the opportunity to be trained. If you think about it, you and your family members would have never been trained if it weren't for your children being diagnosed but you are fully capable of handling it.  I respect everyone's opinions. I hope this helps!